Chapter 7

"So you haven't seen a whole pile of the Italian countryside and you haven't left the room except for dinner and you're dying of boredom? That's it?"

"Yep, that's about everything. I finally met my Father's newest wife in person though and she seems far better than all the horrible ones he had before. How are things back home? What have I missed?"

I swiftly lie and cover up the lie with information about Francesca to Brendan. Ok it's not all a lie and I'm not even lying! I'm just skipping over some details and distracting him by redirecting the conversations, there is no way I'm telling Brendan about Signor Lacini or about my tense meeting with Il Capo earlier. Not a chance in Hell, especially about the Signore Lacini bit. He would be on the first flight over and punch the man on sight if he was lucky and didn't drag him into the woods to kill him instead.

Brendan's snort bring me back to our conversation and I can practically here his smirk, "You mean since you left approximately 18 hours ago?"

"Hey!" I say, trying to sound as offended as possible but failing a I real into a smile, "A lot can happen in a day!"

"Darling it's been less than a day."

"Whatever, can I take it then nothing has happened?"

He laughs, "Actually I have bought a new shirt."

"Oh the excitement!"

"It is actually a fantastic shirt, I look incredibly sexy in it. Then again I look sexy in anything."

I can't stop laughing, I just love having a normal conversation with him and hearing his voice.

"Hey Alless, why are you laughing? Are you doubting my sexiness?"

"Brendan I don't know what to say, I could tell you you're hideous but we both know I would be lying."

"True true, lying is bad. But speaking of sexy I bought you something too."

"That's sort of a bit of a change of subject."

"How is that a subject change? I'm sexy, you're very sexy and you will look very very sexy in what I bought you."

I sort of stare at the phone in amused bewilderment, I always forget how forward he can be, "Umm... thank you? But you know you didn't have to buy me anything right?"

"You're welcome. And what sort of an answer is that? Of course I need to buy you things! It's my right! I mean if I have anything to do with it, and I do please note, no man will ever buy you a romantic gift but me and as such I have to accept the duty. One I gladly accept"

I smile, is it weird I like all the small ways he likes to remind me he doesn't intend to let me go?

"Well ok then Mr Thompson I can accept that. But you know I'm going to expect something amazing now right?"

"Honey I would expect nothing less."

Ok that is a little insulting. "Are you implying I'm high maintenance?"

At hearing this Brendan laughs his head off! I can just imagine his smile, how his eyes flash a brighter green when he laughs, how that cute dimple on his left cheek becomes really pronounced...

Did I mention I seriously miss him?

"Alless you're anything but high maintenance. You won't even let me pay on our dates!"

"We all know that's a lie, don't you dare try and fool me for a minute- you have been depositing money into my account afterwards."

I sort of look at myself in the mirror in shock at what I just came out with- looks like spidey senses have finally made a comeback. I cannot believe he's been depositing money in my account! Is that sweet or incredibly deceptive that he's going against my wishes?