Chapter 9

Come on! Float!

I'm staring right at a pencil on the other side of the room. It's not moving, just sitting there mocking me. I had tried connecting to the energy around me again like Kate had told me but to be honest I think I'm too distracted.

I had gotten a video call from a very enthusiastic Taylor first thing this morning when I turned on my laptop to check my emails. She told me she's been waiting for me to log on since I got here because she wanted to see my face, not just talk on the phone. That was touching and made me feel horrible all at the same time. I lied to her face (sort of) because I didn't say a word to her about her either about father being here, I knew Taylor would be worried about me but I could talk her out of telling Brendan. I just didn't want to bring up any memories of that bastard when she was getting on so well now. No, there was no way on Earth I was mentioning it.

So to try and feel better I tried to distract myself by trying to levitate a pencil whilst Molly is video calling her mum on my laptop in the other room. It was something I had always wanted to do, as weird as it sounds. I am a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan and the first thing that Willow (Buffy's best friend who is also a witch) ever levitated properly was a pencil. And so to be honest the desire was 100% fuelled by my fascination with Buffy. But it seems with me, like with Willow, magic takes concentration and control of your emotions and I didn't meet either of those criteria right now. I sigh and fall backwards on my bed which I've been sitting upright on, still made perfectly as I slept with Molly last night. It's moments when I'm alone like this with nothing to distract me that I'm brought back to the little empty space I feel inside from being away from Brendan. I mean, it irritates me beyond belief because I am a feminist in every sense, I shouldn't be dependent on a man for my happiness! I shouldn't need a man at all! Mum had shown me that as I grew up after the divorce, when dad left her with very little and she was forced to adapt and move about and find a job and go back to university so she could finish qualifying as a lawyer (having quit part the way through the course when she marred my father). And although my Mum was now happy with Willis I know that she would Never let his absence hurt her like this even if he left her! And especially not if she ever just went away without him for a few days! But I can't help how I feel. And I miss him. I reach into my pyjamas pocket and hold my phone in my hand, one small phone call to him couldn't hurt right?

No. I won't do it. I love Brendan but I am not dependent on him. Plus I called him last night, I shouldn't bother him. I should just concentrate on levitating this frigging pencil!

I sit up again, convinced if I can levitate this pencil the world will just right itself but before I can put my new found determination to good use there's a knock on my bedroom door and Marco walks in without waiting for me to answer. Before I can lecture him though on all the reasons he shouldn't enter my bedroom without my say-so I notice there are 2 women follow him into the room. They are both obviously italian and giggle when they see me looking at them in confusion while sitting cross legged on my bed in my Hello Kitty shorty pyjamas. Ok, admittedly Hello Kitty isn't the most mature choice but it can be hard to find shorty pyjamas for me to wear that fit and are actually short! Being vertically challenged (i.e. a short arse) has many disadvantages!

"Marco who are these women and exactly why are they here?" I say slowly, still a little disbelieving that 2 strange italian women are laughing at me in my bedroom.

"They're here to do your hair and make up and help you pick a suitable outfit for this afternoon."

I turn my look of disbelief on Marco directly, "You mean for going out with Mr McIlroy later? But we're only going into town for a few hours! And it's only 11.30, Geoff won't be picking me up for over 2 hours!"