Chapter Three

мαggιє'ѕ ρσν

We'd only been there for an hour, but it felt like days.

I wondered if we were close to the exit, or if the doctor was right behind us. I wondered why this was happening, or where we even were.

I wondered- what if we could never escape?

I followed Nitro and Kitty down the hallway. My mind whirled with equations, expressions, proportions and unit rates.

    "We're going in circles," I realized, glancing at a long hallway. "We were just here. Because if we took five lefts and-"

    "We get it, Kitty sighed impatiently.

    Pushing my glasses higher up on my face, I identified the turns that we could take. A left. Two rights. Straight.

    "We just went straight," I explained, "so we should go right. It's most reasonable, plus we haven't been in that direction yet."

    "If you say so," Nitro turned the way I told her to go. We were walking for only a few moments, before it felt as though someone's stare was piercing my back.

    "Guys," I called out. "Does anybody else have that feeling that we're being watched?"

    "Yeah," Nitro put an arm over her ice. "Is it the doctor?"

    "I don't know," I looked behind me. "It feels more... harsh. Like they're about to come around a corner or something."

    "How can you tell?" Kitty strolled up to my side.

"Can't you feel it? The tension in the air?" My friends stared at me in confusion. "Can anybody feel it?"

    "No," Iris pressed her back against the wall. "But you're sure scaring me. Should we keep going?"

    "There's no time," I stood with her. "Whatever's coming, it's probably right around the corner."

    "We have to leave!" Kitty pleaded me. "Now! We have to take our chances and run!"

    I stood my ground. I wouldn't risk my life for the wrong choice. I flinched as I heard thumping footsteps appear down the hallway.

I saw a black shape emerge. It almost looked like the Doctor, except it had a lot more muscles, and glaring white eyes.

"Run!" I screamed, and we all booked it.

Nitro and Logan ran side by side, while Iris and Kate made sure no one fell behind. Kitty had shrunk into a tiny calico cat, and was keeping up with Nitro. I, however, was in the back with no support.

The monster was behind us, but it was fast. Behind him dragged a long sword, scratching a path in the ground. My heart beat rapidly.

Everyone was still ahead of me. I lingered behind, trying my hardest to keep up. "Guys! Wait!" I cried.

Nitro slowed down, extending an arm out to me. I clung on, and she tugged me forwards.

Yet at the same time, the monster lashed out with his sword. It caught me in the back of my shirt, and I wailed.

The next minute or two was a blur. My back burned in pain, and I gritted my teeth. Nitro kept a firm grip on my arm.

And just like that, the monster was gone.

"What happened?" I asked, lying on the ground.