Chapter One- Yes

Maya's POV:

"MAYA!" My best friend, Riley Matthews, yelled as we were drawing to a close to our high school careers. We were done with school as soon as the last bell of the day rang, in about three hours. I had dozed off in History, since we've been trying to get to Belgium, 1831, since Mr. Matthews became our 7th grade teacher.

"Riles, what have I told you about waking me up?" I asked, lifting my head to see the boy I've liked for a while looking at me. Joshua Matthews, Riley's uncle.

"Well, if you had heard her before, you wouldn't be so surprised to see me right now, Mrs

"Well, if you had heard her before, you wouldn't be so surprised to see me right now, Mrs. Hart, would you?" Josh said with his signature smile. "Also, pack up, your class is leaving early. You only have half a day, since it's your last day."

"Oh. I was taking a nap, Mr. Joshua Matthews. Sorry for making your brother drag you here to wake me up. Not how you want to spend your last few weeks of college, I bet." I snapped, knowing he was only here because Mr. Matthews had called him, not being able to get me up for at least half an hour.

"Actually, I'm here to give you and Riley a ride back to her house, Mrs. Maya Hart. Cory has to stay for a few hours, since he's not just a senior history teacher." Josh said, and I nodded.

"I think I'll ride the subway, Josh. Traffic is always hectic in New York around this time, you know that." I said, grabbing at my book bag, which was on it's way to Josh's car. Deciding that he'd not lose it, I walked to the subway without it.

"Where's your bag, Maya?" Gretchen said, and I smiled.

"Oh, Joshua Matthews has it. We were let out early, since it's the seniors last day of school. I graduate in about a week, but am no longer actually required to go to school." I said, and she nodded.

"At least it's a Matthews that has it. Mr. Matthews is a good guy, and that brother of his, the youngest Matthews sibling, is pretty cute. I heard he has a thing for blonde artists." Gretchen teased, knowing about my former obsession with the youngest Matthews sibling.

"I wish, Gretchen. Anyways, this is my stop. You remember where I live?" I asked, and she nodded. "Drop by sometime soon, I'll be free until August."

"Alright, Maya. Now, get off to Riley's house. She'll probably be waiting for you." Gretchen said, and I stepped off the train.

-Time Skip-

I was at the Matthews household, which had recently become Josh's, as his dorm had gone up in flames. NYU had offered him another dorm, but for twice the amount he had to pay for his first one. So, he had called Cory, who had offered him a place to sleep for $10 dollars a week, $40 a month. Most apartment landlords in New York offer starting prices at $3,100.

"Hey, Maya." Riley said, walking through the door shortly after I did. She saw me look confused, and grinned.

"Josh is bringing your bag from the car, but he kind of locked his keys in the trunk because he set them down, and while he was looking around in his car for something, I kind of accidentally bumped into the car, locking the keys and your backpack in the trunk." Riley explained, and I sighed. Good thing I don't need it anymore.