Chapter 2- What happened?

Josh's POV:

I awoke to a blonde-haired girl in my arms. Instantly recognizing her as Maya, I couldn't help but feel a burst of happiness in my chest. Wait, what? She was still a student until she crossed that stage in six days. Trying to remember what happened last night, I smiled at the memory as it grew clearer with every passing second.

I had woke up, knowing that I wouldn't be able to sleep for the rest if the night. So, instead of making a bunch of noise to try to wake SOMEONE else in the household up, I quietly left Auggie's room, heading to the living room. About an hour earlier, I saw Maya go into the kitchen for a cup of water.

We had both asked what the other was doing up, and admitted that neither of us could sleep at the moment. She came over, and saw her show on the tv. Asking if she could watch, I agreed wholeheartedly. It isn't often that I get to spend time with Maya Hart, and very soon, it may not be at all.

I got accepted to a college in Paris, the city of love. All the way across the globe. I haven't heard back, so I'm gonna assume that I didn't get in. And while that may be good, because I get to hang around Maya more, now that she's an adult, it's also bad, because that college is cool. It's called CELSA, or Centre d'études littéraires et scientifiques appliqués. They have a 12.2% acceptance rate, so it's not likely that I'll even get into it. But their graduating rate is 93% (AN- Don't know if that's true, tried to figure out the real amount, but I couldn't find it. Sorry. The acceptance rate is true, I just couldn't find the graduation rate. The name is of a real journalist college in Paris.)

While I was contemplating whether to wake the blonde beauty, she had already woken up, realizing the position we were in. She stretched as best as she could, and I loosened my grip a little.

"Morning, Matthews." She said, still groggy from sleep. I smiled, and decided to respond instead of remaining awkwardly silent.

"Morning, Hart." I said, and Riley decided to walk into the living room at the right moment.

Maya's POV:

I watched as Riley walked in, and Josh gently pushed me onto the chair beside the couch. Her back was turned to us, and she was rummaging through the fridge. I got into the most comfortable position on the chair as I could, and acted like I was asleep. As she turned around, I shot Josh a smirk, and closed my eyes, relaxing a little.

"Hey, Uncle Josh." She said, and I almost frowned, and then remembered that I was "asleep" in her eyes. "So, why is Maya laying awkwardly on the chair? Did you not behave like a gentleman and give her the couch instead?"

"Hey, Riles. I offered, but she didn't want to kick me off the couch. I asked who she thought was leaving the couch, and that it was big enough for both of us to sleep on opposite sides, but she declined." Josh said, and I cracked my eye a little. Not enough to disrupt the "sleeping Maya" act, but enough to see that she had walked back to her room.

Once I had counted to 60, I got up, and walked over to Josh. He smiled sheepishly, and I sighed. Hitting him over the head (softly, of course. There is NO way I'd ever be able to actually hurt Josh), I hissed, "How DARE you! Now I have to remember a LIE!?"

"First of all, OUCH! And second of all, what did you expect me to say, Hart? That we fell asleep, with me holding you? Because THAT would've gone down smooth!" Josh whisper-yelled. I nodded in agreement. Riley can NEVER know I slept in her uncle's arms last night.

"So, what happened last night to get me to fall asleep in your arms? And why didn't I move before I fell asleep?"

"I don't know, Maya, but something I DO know is that I've never slept better than when you were in my arms."

"Josh, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying the truth, Maya. All you've got to do is decipher the meaning behind the words I've spoken. You have until your graduation. If you haven't figured it out by then, I'll tell you what I mean." Josh said, and I sighed.

"Of course, Joshua Matthews. Now, if you excuse me-" I said, trailing off for a second, trying to think of last night. "I've got some investigating to do this fine morning. I'll talk to you later."