REHEARSAL DATE - Part 2

Inspiration is a fickle mistress, one does not ignore her advances.

SCOTT'S P.O.V

The next stop was a park, that much I knew. But that was all the schedule said, 'The Park' and a small address scribbled below.

"Why are we going to a park, again?" I asked, finally voicing my doubts.

"Because the Spring Festival is coming up." She said, as if that was self explanatory. The look I threw at her probably said that it wasn't as she continued, "The park which we're going to, holds a festival for every season. The spring one is special though, because they allow people to just come and help out. They even provide everything you might need. I fail to understand how you weren't already aware of this." She tutted disapprovingly.

"So we're going there to do free labour?" I asked, not believing what she had said just yet.

"It's not that bad. It's a lot of fun actually, I swear."

Oh boy, and it was. It certainly was.

I had to clench my stomach countless times from laughing too hard every time Mia fell from a branch, trying to put lights on the trees. Or when she would look everywhere for that certain piece of decoration which she actually had in her hand all along.

I too helped out wherever I could, praised by random people for a perfect job done.

The park was not packed per say, but it wasn't exactly scarce of people either. It was surprising to see so many people voluntarily toiling all day, even though Mia seemed to disagree that was was it was, for free labour. What was even more surprising was the diversity of people that came to help, ranging from little kids looking for fun, to middle aged couples trying to spice up their lives, to groups of oldies with way too much time in their hands. For a person like me, who found great pleasure in studying people even in the school cafeteria, it was a place close to heaven.

We ate street food from stalls that had started selling early, both of us full to the very brim after trying more than eight places, after which we diligently got back to work. I even bought a bracelet to gift Emma the next day, Mia's choice of course. I'd have preferred something a bit more expensive, but the silver bracelet covered in charms looked good too.

Later, when no one seemed to be looking, I took some time out to stand alone at a corner during one of the breaks, wanting to count my star stickers. Five. Good enough, I decided.

The sun had already set when we decided that no more could be done now, almost six at the time. We were just about to leave when one of the workers called out to us, saying that we should wait for just a little while more, that they were going to test the lights.  

Mia was also done with all her work anyway, which seemed like a miracle considering how many times she'd fallen from branches right on her ass. A small part of me wanted to help her out a bit, that part being a little bothersome, but not impossible to ignore. So I'd just stood there to see the cute frown on her face whenever she landed on the ground, standing right back up, determination seemingly endless.

Eventually, when it was dark enough, I'd helped her out a little from the other side, making sure she did not notice. Though I decided not to tell that to her, that little piece of information could be left unshared.

So I found myself settling beside Mia, under one of the trees we'd decorated. It was a nice feeling, calming in a way, to look at all the hard work.

"Hey Mia, how did you know about the whole Ander story? Were you there when it happened?" I asked, trying to make conversation, but maybe also a tad bit curious.