1. The Beginning

Word count: 1132

"Sure Nick, whatever you say" Elizabeth giggled
"I'm serious you have to believe me Bethy" Nick groaned, his hands in his hair.
"They all come alive at night, and go on adventures, this is a new addition to the story" she said slightly out of breath from laughing at the frustrated look upon his face and pink cheeks.

Elizabeth Daley was Nick's cousin, Larry's niece, she was nineteen years old and had long chesnut hair and green eyes.
Beth was the nickname she preferred but Nick was the first to call her Bethy and it had stuck, at least with family members.
Elizabeth had moved away from home to go to school in New York and stayed with her uncle and cousin, she had her own room but it seemed to be more of a closet.

This particularly night, Elizabeth and Nick were having a sleepover in the living room to watch movies, although most of the night was just Nick babbling about the museum. She had heard about her uncle Larry's infamous night guard job for a while now and Nick was dead set on proving it to her, he was still convincing his dad to let her visit.
She had visited the museum before, just never at night.

"Come on, I know it's ridiculous but I'm pretty sure my dad is taking you to the museum with us soon!" he spoke.

"Fine, I'll believe it when I see it" Elizabeth smirked, propping up her pillow on the couch and laying down.

"Fine." Nick finished, defeated by her remarks and disbelief. He then rolled over in his sleeping bag, in which he had unhappily taken the spot on the floor. They were currently watching Harry Potter, a childhood favourite, but both of them were asleep before it ended.

The next morning over breakfast, after what seemed like an hour long debate that Elizabeth hadn't been paying attention to, Nick had convinced his dad to let Elizabeth come to the museum at night.

"Are you sure you will be okay with it Bethy?" Larry asked with tired concern on his face.

Elizabeth didn't understand why they made such a big deal about it, it was just a building with old stuff in it, she wasn't afraid of the dark.

"Oh I'm sure I'll be fine, what's gonna happen? I'll die from too much exposure to knowledge?" Elizabeth exaggerated waving her hands around.
Nick rolled his eyes but still seemed content at the result of the debate with his father, he worked harder than convincing his dad to let him DJ, he was still working on it.

Elizabeth was on a break from school for a few weeks and was enjoying the crisp snow that fell every night, going on long walks throughout the city, not headed anywhere particular.
As she began to grow bored of walking, she headed in the direction of home, good time to study for a few hours, Elizabeth loved going to school and didn't let a break stop her from working.
She was a history student at Cornell University, this made the trip to the museum sound quite delightful to her.

Elizabeth had always been fascinated by the past, the creatures that were long gone and how humans had survived. Currently they were working on ancient rulers, the students were allowed to pick an era and a ruler and write an essay about them. Elizabeth was undecided on who to pick, so she spent most of the afternoon scrolling through her computer, trying to find somebody that caught her eye.
Nothing was particularly inspiring her, so she laid down, listening to the TV but not really paying attention.

Later

"Are you excited?" Nick asked slightly squirming in the front seat of the car, Elizabeth would be the first (and probably only) person that he was going to get to share the magic of the museum with, his father being protective over the safety of everyone in it.
"Sure I am Nicky, everything is cooler at night... I can't wait to dance with a caveman" Elizabeth laughed, Nick let out a snort.
"Oh shut up, don't call me Nicky" he pouted
Elizabeth leaned forward from the backseat of the car and pinched his cheek.
"Hey knock it off" he tried to sound serious but still smiled.
"Oh my God shush you two" Larry spoke from the front, his eyes barely having the time to look back at Elizabeth laughing and Nick pouting.

Larry pulled into the employee parking lot and got out, it was completely empty, Larry working the graveyard shift and all. Nick got out, then Elizabeth, together the 3 of them walked up the steps to the entrance. As they walked through the doors, locking them behind them, Elizabeth smiled, she loved museums.
"Looks so lively" she joked looking around.
"Just give it a moment" Nick and Larry said almost at the same time, Larry checking his watch. Elizabeth strolled around the main hall and stopped in front of a wax statue of Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States.

"Ah what a lovely gentleman you are sir Theodore" she giggled bowing towards the statue, making Nick roll his eyes once more.

"Ah thank you young miss, call me Teddy" an older voice said from above her. Elizabeth froze, slowly lifting her head to look at who had spoken to her, in front of her stood a live horse... and a live President on top.

She let out a small scream and backed away quickly, turning around trying to find Nick to smack him over the head.
"Jeez what type of prank is this Nick, you nearly scared me half to death"
She figured the man was an actor, what she didn't understand is why her cousin would put in this much effort.

Elizabeth looked to her right and stopped right in her tracks, a large skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus Rex was walking around, a large rib between its teeth.
' I'm going insane, I don't think that's an actor' Elizabeth thought to herself

She quickly spun around to run in the opposite direction.

"Bethy it's okay!" Nick shouted at her, running after her.

She tried to run away and ran right into a large man of Asian decent wearing heavy winter clothing.
She looked up at him and he spoke to her in a language she did couldn't understand.

Elizabeth began to feel faint and the last thing she saw and heard before she fell to the ground was Nick's yelling and a flash of gold.
Then she felt her feet slip from under her and everyone went dark.

Hope you liked that first attempt of the chapter, I'll do my best to update often, I doubt many people will read this anyway.