5. Understand The Past

Word count: 1191

Once Elizabeth got home, she fell asleep almost immediately, not bothering to change her clothing.
She had reason to be tired, she was up all night, experiencing a dream.

When she woke up the next day, around 2pm, she struggled once more to comprehend the night before.
Elizabeth walked around the house for a little bit, pacing while she brewed tea.
In her head Elizabeth was mapping out a project on Ahkmenrah, her excitement for her work filling her with joy.
History had been such a large part of her life ever since she found a book about how bodies used to be mummified when she was 6. It should have scared her but her love for learning practically wrapped itself around her and refused to let go.
Elizabeth was pulled from her thoughts when she heard the high pitched whistle of the kettle, she grabbed a mug from the kitchen and poured herself her tea.
Grabbing a muffin from the counter, she walked to the living room, plopping herself down in a large leather love seat.
Elizabeth played music on her phone, connecting it to Nick's old speakers in the room.
She don't intend to wake up Nick and Larry but she didn't particularly care if they did wake up now.
The music flowed through the room and she watched the steam raise from her cup, grasping it in her hands, enjoying the warmth.
Elizabeth closed her eyes and recalled the garden in her mind, walking through it again with him.
Him
His faced and name echoed through her mind, she had never been so intrigued by a person before.
He had grace that didn't seemed to be enforced by being born to royalty, respect for himself and others that wasn't overly dignified.
Ahkmenrah was unbelievably kind, the type of man that every parent would want their daughter to go to prom with.
Elizabeth found herself thinking about his smile once more, his teeth standing out from his tan skin.

"Elizabeth I'm normally not up until 5 pm when I spend the night at the museum, why are you awake?" Nick groaned, flopping onto the couch and burying his head the  in pillows.
"Nick I am used to having to get up to go to school, unlike somebody" Elizabeth smirked at him.
"Hey I'm looking for places right now, dad got used to the dj idea and I'll be doing that soon again" He spoke into the cushion.
"Yeah whatever" she rolled her eyes, she was a year older than him but had gotten into university early, so she had been there for 2 years already.
Elizabeth got up and put her cup in the kitchen, finishing the last bite of her muffin and heading to her room.
The music stopping as the Bluetooth connected broke, reconnecting to the smaller speaker in her room.
The sweet voice of Freddie mercury serenading her as she got dressed, Queen was one of her favourite bands, much to Nick's dubstep personal distaste.
Elizabeth glanced out the window, the snow was still on the ground but the sun shone through clouds, she grabbed ear buds and a book and left the apartment.
She walked down the streets, the now hardened snow crunching underneath her boots. She walked all the way to central park and found herself a spot on a bench near a semi frozen pond, watching ducks swim through broken ice.
Elizabeth pulled a journal from her bag and began to write about her night, she believed in writing down special events in your life to preserve the memory with more detail. She had journals from elementary school, drama with kids that didn't like her and her gushing about her first crush.
Elizabeth felt a buzz in her pocket and pulled out her phone.

"My dad asked if you want to come to the museum again tonight?" -Nick

It didn't take long for her to make a decision, quickly typing out an answer to him.

"Of course I want to come dummy, I'm doing my project on Ahkmenrah, I'm quite excited to talk to him" She wrote.

She saw the typing sign.

"Oooooo are you going to study him ;))?"  was the reply.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes once more and began typing.

"Ew Nicky, I met him yesterday and he's technically dead. He may have died around my age but he's existed for 4,000 years."  Elizabeth wrote back.

"Whatever you say Bethy, I know about all the crushes you've had before" he replied, she could tell he was thought this was hilarious.

"God you're annoying, what time do I need to be back by for Larry to drive me"

Elizabeth glanced at the time at the top of the screen, it was around 5:40, she had been up for awhile now.

" in the next 2 hours, we are getting there around 8. That should give you time to prepare your notes or whatever"

Elizabeth laughed at her phone, Nick had always hated school and was confused by her love for it. She put her phone down and looked back at the birds, she had been there for about an hour. Her stomach grumbled, the muffin she had earlier was not enough. Elizabeth got up and stretched, then started to walk through the park.
She crossed through it, heading towards a coffee house type restaurant, it was one of her favourite places in New York.

She had a diner that she loved, a friend of hers worked there, a girl named Casey. It was a 24 hour diner so she enjoyed the novelty of going at night.

Once she arrived at the door and pushed it open, it had a wonderful atmosphere, it warm and welcoming. Soft music was playing from a record in the corner and the slightly dim lights perfectly illuminated the room.
Elizabeth ordered a hot chocolate and a roasted veggie sandwich, when she got her order she went to sit down.
She opted for a seat next to the window, cool air coming from the outside was a nice contrast to the warmth inside.
Elizabeth looked around before going on her phone phone for a bit, organizing things for her future classes and setting up the outline for an essay. While she was working, her mind wandered back to Ahkmenrah, she wondered if she would ever be able to take him out to a place like this, they occasionally had all night shifts on special days, it would be lovely to bring him here. She would have to find him some clothing, as his attire wasn't very "modern".
She imagined him in various outfits, her mind moving on to other people who lived in the museum, what they would look like with a makeover, however she liked how they dressed.
Elizabeth had only spent one night with the people of the museum but she found herself practically craving to go back, to experience more of the people and understand the past.
She was planning on going back again this night, probably most of the next few weeks before she went back to school.
Elizabeth felt like she had been given the most amazing opportunity and she had to take respectful advantage of it.

I've been super sick and writing was making me sort of nauseous, sorry for this mess \/°_°\/