Chapter Four: Protect

Week One: Kakashi

Week One: Kakashi

You sighed in disappointment as you leaned on your knees, bent over and panting raggedly. You were hoping to obtain Sasuke's bell as well as Naruto's, which you did succeed in, but you just weren't skilled enough to take him down and you didn't have the guts to face the Uchiha again. Whether it be embarrassment or resentment that held you back, you just knew for a fact that you didn't have the will power to face him after his strangely intimate actions that left you in a flustering mess.

It was safe to say, however, that you were proud of what you did have so far; two bells and a little more confidence. There was a certain ego boost you got from knowing you had squared off with three-fourths of Team Seven and successfully defeated them. Breaking out of your musing, you looked up from the ground, you began to feel much more calmer after finally catching your breath. You wondered how much time you had left before the alarm went off.

"Fifteen minutes." A monotonous voice sounded from somewhere above you, leaving you to let out a surprised 'eep' as you whirled around, searching frantically with your eyes to find the uninvited guest.

"W-What..?" You responded, the hair on your neck standing straight up. Did he just read your mind? Man, Jōunin really were skilled after all.

"It took you fifteen minutes to acquire two bells." Kakashi said as he jumped down from a high-hanging branch and landed flawlessly on the forest floor in front of you. You almost tumbled backwards at his sudden appearance, a small sliver of fear worming its way into the pit of your stomach.

You were alone with a man who was rumored to have copied more than one thousand jutsus with his Sharingan, so there was no telling which one he planned on unleashing upon you. You just hoped he wouldn't kill you by accident. Drawing a kunai, you shifted into a fighting stance, a small bead of sweat running down the side of your face in nervousness. You waited for him to make the first move and eventually he did, a gloved hand of his slowly reaching towards his back pocket.

You tensed and held your kunai a little higher, threatening to strike if he came closer. Kakashi then whipped out a small, orange book and cracked it open, beginning to read it. Your arms dropped to your side and you relaxed in confusion and curiosity. He was reading at a time like this? You didn't understand.

"Uh.. S-Sensei?" You peeped quietly, tilting your head to the side in utter bewilderment. "Hmm?" The older man hummed in response, not moving a muscle as he stood comfortably in front of you, his one visible eye moving up and down as he carried on reading his novel. Squinting, you caught a glimpse of the title and your eyes widened. Icha Icha Paradise? A painful shock jolted through your brain and a whirl of sudden emotions grasped your sense of reality, twisting it and binding into something unreal. Memories flooded into your head from dam that enclosed it at the sight of the orange book; it was the one your only cousin would read. He was your only immediate family and had helped raise you from a young age, but he had been missing for so long that he was presumed dead.