Chapter Five: Friend or Foe

Week Two

Week Two

"Okay, [Surname]-san, you're free to go! Just make sure you take your prescription twice a day and drink lots of water." The nurse clad in a white uniform chirped, her brown hair bouncing atop her shoulders as she handed you a small brown bag that contained your pills. You took it and thanked her, bowing numerous times for her services before making your way out of the hospital room and down to the lobby.

You had been in the hospital for about a week. The doctors had you under observation to make sure you wouldn't have another episode—to which you assured them you were absolutely fine—though they didn't seem to care much about what you thought. Being in the hospital was incredibly boring; you mostly slept, wandered the halls looking for someone to bother, or hovered over the open buffet in the cafeteria. No one really visited except Sakura, Naruto and the occasional Kakashi, though Sasuke came by only once and it was so awkward that you had to pretend to fall asleep so he would leave.

Now that you were out, you could really feel all the energy that had been building up flow strongly throughout your body. You wanted to train and go on real missions as soon as possible, but you knew that probably wouldn't happen so soon after your release from the hospital. After sighing for what seemed like the thirtieth time, you were suddenly bombarded by a massive puff of smoke. It appeared so quickly and so out of the blue that you hardly had time to do anything but jump five feet in the air and squeak. Fortunately, you found that whoever was mysteriously shrouded within the cloak of smoke wasn't going to harm you, so you simply just stood back.

The smoke eventually cleared and you caught sight of an ANBU bird mask, decorated sparsely with red and black lines of dark paint. What looked to be two sheathed machetes laid criss-cross on his back and a large weapons pouch was strung across his waist and hung lowly on his hip. He had an unruly mess of wavy blonde hair with subtly dark roots sitting atop his head. It was parted down the middle and his bangs reached to about where his eyelashes were (if you were able to see them) and were elegantly swept back on their respective sides. You had never seen such a shinobi before.

"[Name] [Surname]?" He questioned, though it seemed like he already knew who you were. His voice was deep and gravelly, almost on the verge of being somewhat soothing if he didn't look so threatening in that ANBU armor of his.

You warily eyed him before answering in uncertainty. "Uh, yes?"

"The Hokage has requested your presence. He would like to speak with you." The ANBU officer explained briefly, turning his head in the direction of the Hokage Tower. Your eyebrow quirked up in confusion; the Hokage wanted to see you? Did you do something wrong? You wracked your memories for anything you could have possibly done that would call for his attention, but nothing came up and you had barely done anything in the past week due to being holed up in the hospital.

Nervously, you soundlessly nodded in understanding and allowed the mysterious shinobi to escort you to the Tower. You just hoped you weren't in trouble.