Chapter Seven: Undecipherable

Week Two: Hinata, Neji, and Sasuke

The walk to the Hyūga compound was actually quite relaxing. Hinata seemed to have withdrawn from her shell and conversation began to flow freely. You let her lead you down the winding labyrinth that was Konoha's streets to her home, and found it to be a great time to relish in the life of nighttime. Ironically enough, the streets were more lively than in the daytime; there were families enjoying a dinner out, cliques of friends hovering over the bars, and you think you even saw some Academy teachers hanging out by some barbecue lounge with shots of saké.

Hinata noticed your awestruck gaze and smiled, shyly wringing her hands together. She was so glad you wanted to walk home with her as it really uplifted her spirit. She didn't know what she would have done if Sakura hadn't forgotten her basket. Everything was falling into place now—perhaps it was meant to be, after all.

"We're almost there, [Name]-san. Just down this street." said Hinata as she took hold of your arm, gently guiding you down a less populated road. You nodded soundlessly, continuing to observe your surroundings. The street leading to the Hyūga compound gradually became devoid of any souls as you neared closer and closer, the sounds of nightlife fading out in the distance.

The grand concrete entrance of the household came into view after a few more feet of walking. Rows of paper lanterns dotted the perimeter of the wall and a number of designs were carved meticulously into the concrete. For a form of defense, it was actually rather beautiful. You and Hinata halted in front of it, the bottom of your zori sandals scraping against the rocky dirt path beneath. You turned to the smaller girl and smiled, watching as she bashfully drew patterns in the dirt with her foot.

"T-Thank you for walking me home, [Name]-san. I had a good time." She quietly confessed, her glowing, milky eyes trained downwards. You felt overwhelmed the utter naivety this girl seemed to hold, and you let out a small sigh before swiftly pulling her into a hug.

"Anytime, Hinata-san," you released her from your hold after few moments, almost letting out a laugh at her stark red face. "I'll see you tomor—" Before you could even finish your sentence, you were cut off by a very infuriated voice that sliced through the sweet midnight air as if it were a newly sharpened kunai.

"Hinata-hime! You were supposed to return home hours ago, where have you been?" A boy that looked a bit older than you chided from the semi-open gate of the entrance, his arms tightly crossed and cold eyes gleaming with annoyance. He blatantly ignored your entire existence as he advanced towards Hinata, roughly taking her arm in his hold and pulling her back towards the gate.

"S-Sorry, Neji-san. I stayed at [N-Name]-san's house for a little while." Hinata desperately tried to explain her situation to 'Neji', but to no avail. They exchanged back and forth for a while, arguing as if they were an elderly couple. Stepping up, you tried your hand at taking the blame.

"It's my fault she's late. I was distracting her. I'm sorry."

The long haired boy stopped in his tracks upon hearing your voice and slowly turned around, his eyes narrowed. He seemed to be analyzing your form from head to toe, taking in all of your features and gutting them out one by one. You began to feel uncomfortable under his scrutinizing gaze and your hands started to feel clammy; you seriously disliked being stared at.