Chapter Six: Greedy

Week Two: Sakura and Hinata

You shuffled around your apartment in a rush, trying your best to gather your belongings and at the same time shake the sleep from your joints as you struggled to prepare yourself for your upcoming mission

You shuffled around your apartment in a rush, trying your best to gather your belongings and at the same time shake the sleep from your joints as you struggled to prepare yourself for your upcoming mission. Your talk with the Hokage the day before covered every little detail of this mission and you had since been repeating it in your head like a sacred mantra, trying to remember every step he had explained to you as if your life depended on it. You didn't want to mess up your first mission out of the village—especially with your new teammates.

You hurriedly brushed through your hair and styled it the way you usually did, making sure to consider the weather, which was surprisingly hot. You didn't mind the warm weather—except for when you got all overheated and sweaty. Maybe it was just better to stay inside after all, you decided. Just as you set your styling tool down, you heard a loud knock on your front door. Raising an eyebrow, you wandered out into the main living room of your small apartment, eyes flitting towards the door in bewilderment.

You hadn't invited anyone over, nor did anyone you know have any idea where you lived, so who could be knocking on your door at this time of day? Perhaps it was the delivery man or a neighbor. Slowly making your way towards the door, you unlocked it and turned the knob, cracking it open so you could see who it was. You caught a glimpse of vibrant pink hair, which had begun to grow more and more familiar ever since your stay in the hospital. Swinging open the door, you were met with Sakura's large smile and the overwhelming scent of sweet pastries that wafted from the brown basket that was cradled safely in her pale arms.

You blinked, surprised, before clumsily managing a greeting. "O-Oh, hello Sakura-san. What brings you here today?" Even though you sounded polite, you were genuinely confused and a little irritated on how she found out where you lived. You hadn't told her—or anyone, for that matter—and she still somehow found out. Perhaps the Hokage let her know?

"Hinata-san wanted to come over and help you pack for your mission. She asked me to come along since I know you better," The pinkette explained matter-o-factly, stepping to the side to reveal the smaller, navy-haired girl hiding behind her. Your eyes widened. You didn't even notice Hinata standing there!

Sakura wasn't finished talking, though. "And I wanted to, uh, check up on you, too." She glanced briefly at you before averting her gaze towards the ground, a small blush spreading across her nose. You smiled a bit at her concern for you and the irritation that had bubbled up in your core slowly dissipated knowing you had made such caring friends.

"Ah, well, I guess I can't say no to that. Please, come in." You opened the door a little wider so they could enter. Sakura brushed past you eagerly while Hinata trailed behind her at the pace of a turtle, her navy blue bangs shielding her eyes from view. You shut the door behind them and spun around to tend to your guests, but froze as you realized the state your apartment was in.