The Barrier

Nick Sievers' POV

Brook shook her head. "No. No. There's no way they're at Pearl Harbor."

I shrugged. "It just makes sense. Vincent is looking for a way to activate the terrorist sleeper cell he's been leading. The best way to do that is with publicity. Destroying Pearl Harbor a second time wouldn't just be terrible, it would be poetic."

She shifted uncomfortably, and I sighed. "Look, not to brag or anything, but as a criminal mastermind myself, I'm basically an expert on all things criminal."

Brook held out her hands. "Exactly. You're a criminal. Why should I trust you?"

I searched into her wide, soft eyes. Was I just a villain to her? After all this time?

"Brook, listen. I'm still the man you loved. I may have scars now, but they're from fighting to get back to you."

She gripped my hands and shook her head. "I swore I would never let a man make me feel this way again, after what you did. I tried to convince myself I didn't love you anymore."

Brook lowered her head and said, practically whispering, "It was a lie. The moment I saw you in the alleyway, I knew what I felt for you was still alive."

"You have no reason to trust me," I said. "What I did was unforgivable. I won't blame you if you walk out on me right now. But whatever happens, I want you to know I want what's best. Not just for me, but for you. For us. For our kids."

Brook's eyes met mine, and I saw the familiar old spark. The fighting spirit that has drawn me to her in the first place.

She sighed. " I want to be us again."

She pressed her lips to mine, and the barriers we had built shattered around us. Exploded, as if nothing else mattered. It was just her and me, me and her, alone in the universe. But not alone. No, we were together.

I wasn't perfect, far from it in fact. But I didn't have to be perfect. Neither of us did. Because when you find someone who loves your flaws as much as your perfection, you know they're the one.

I wanted this moment to last for eternity, my arms cradling her. I wanted to protect her from the troubles of this world, because nothing earthly was good enough for her. Not even me. Especially not me.

The door slammed open and Brook and I turned our heads simultaneously, her body still pressed against mine. I could feel her thudding heart, racing with adrenaline.

Or maybe fear, because before us stood a stern-looking Anderson.

She raised her gun as several more officers flooded into the room. "You're both under arrest."

Jay Adler's POV

"Well, where is the boy?" Charles asked. He tapped a foot impatiently. The recent revelation hadn't done anything to cure his attitude.

I nodded. "Let me call." I produced my phone and dialed Nick's number. I held it up to my ear and waited for him to pick up.

First ring.

Second ring.

Third ring.

Nothing.

I smiled nervously and looked at Charles. "That's funny. He always answers. Let me try again." Charles motioned his hands to get on with it, eyes widening and nostrils flaring in annoyance.

I redialed Nick's number. Come on, buddy.

Still nothing.

I turned to his father and sighed. "Nick's in trouble."

Hi everyone! If you could please press the vote button, that would be amazing! It only takes a few seconds, but absolutely makes my day!!! ❤️😊❤️😊

If you enjoy this story so far, you should really check out my short story "The Vision." I've entered it into a real life contest against published authors and won!!

" I've entered it into a real life contest against published authors and won!!