The Breakout

Nick Sievers' POV

"What could Vincent want with Pearl Harbor?" Brook asked. "I mean, there are so many more populated places to attack."

I picked off the rest off my jagged fingernail and looked at her. "There's still a military base there. People go there to visit the museum, too."

"He's deranged," Brook said. She shook her head and exhaled heavily. "This is like an art to him. He wants it to go down as dramatically as possible."

I nodded. "Insane people are the most dangerous. They'll do anything to get what they want."

"I'm scared for our daughters," Brook whispered.

I gripped her cold hand. "I'm not going to lie to you and say it will be okay. I am going to promise you, though, that I will do everything in my power to rescue them."

A grinding sound interrupted Brook before she could speak. As small pieces of cement began falling from the ceiling, I pushed myself off the ground and motioned for Aldridge to stand clear.

A circle began to form in the ceiling, and when it collapsed to the ground I held up an arm to shield myself from the onslaught of sunlight.

A ladder fell through the hole. Cautiously, I stepped toward the rungs and looked upward. It was a helicopter.

A helicopter whose side read Nicole II.

I couldn't help but laugh. Jay.

I beckoned to Brook. "Come on."

She frowned and didn't move. "This is illegal."

I nodded. "You're right, sweetheart. I'm not going to deny it. You step over this line and there's no going back." Her bottom lip quivered and she backed up toward the wall. Shoot. Maybe a little too blunt.

I shook my head and my voice took on a softer tone. "Hey. For Lila and Henley, remember?"

Brook sighed and looked into my eyes. She held out a hand. "Us, right?"

I nodded and took her hand. "Us."

She climbed up the ladder and I followed quickly after. As I pulled myself into the helicopter, Jay patted my back. "Good to see you, buddy."

I smiled. "Thanks."

"Consider us even," he said. "To Honolulu?"

Brook shook her head. "No. We won't play into Vincent's hands. Not when we have a lead."

Jay frowned. "You mean....?"

"To Pearl Harbor."