The Verdict

-Four months later-

Nick Sievers' POV

Sighing, I propped myself against the wall of my cell. The moment had played over and over in my head ever since that day, the final time I had seen Jay. I wondered every day if things could have been different if I refused to let him come. If I had told him to stay on the helicopter because of his broken arm.

God, I'm a fool. If only I would have....if I only....

I ran my hands through my now rumpled hair and subconsciously touched the plastic of my sunglasses. At least Anderson had granted me those.

And what had happened after that day? What had happened after I woke up?

I screamed. I remember that with clarity. I woke up just in time to see the explosion off in the distance. The destruction of my only friend. Brook tried to comfort me, but I was disgusted by the touch. If it wasn't for her, if she hadn't stopped me, Jay could still be alive.

And then what?

Then I was arrested, along with Vincent. That was the deal we made with Anderson, that if they helped us I would submit to the government.

At that point, I frankly hadn't cared. I was numb to the pain, to the fear, to the anger.

The trial passed in a blur. The only thing I really remember was the judge's verdict.

In reviewing the evidence submitted, the jury has found Nicholas Sievers guilty of 73 counts of first degree murder and hereby sentences him to death by lethal injection.

Everyone reacts differently when they're faced with death.  I've seen it more times than I can count.  Some scream, some plead, but some just stare blankly forward, already dead in all but name.  Those were the ones who had always confused me.  I didn't understand how someone could give up so completely.

Until now, that is.

I used to think I was the best. That they would never find the bodies. That they couldn't prove anything.

But I was wrong. They found every last body.

And look where I was now, never knowing which day was my last. And there was no hope for me. No time off for good behavior, no presidential pardon or chance to escape.

And Brook? Well, she had been pardoned. She came by the other day to tell me that my father had custody of the children for the time being, and that she had moved on.

As in become engaged.

She told me whatever we had felt wasn't real, that this other guy was the man of her dreams. Together, they would regain custody of the kids and raise them.

Maybe a part of me should have been happy, but all I could feel was gut-wrenching pain.

I pressed my head against the wall and exhaled.

At least soon I would see Jay again.