The Wait

Nick Sievers' POV

I laid my head back against the cold wall.  Anderson's words swarmed in my mind.

It's off to Death Row for you....we can't let you give them want they want....the girls will just have to die.

I stood up and yelled, before slamming my fist against the wall. I couldn't die. My fist collided with the wall again, and pain raced through my arm. But it didn't matter. The pain made me feel real, feel grounded. If I....if I died, I may not even be able to feel pain. I pummeled the wall time and time again, until I felt hands on my shoulders, trying to yank me away.

I whirled around to see Brook, arms outstretched. "What are you doing?! Nick, you can't just explode like that."

My shoulders heaving up and down from exertion, I looked at my bloodied knuckles, then back to Brook.

"Hitmen are supposed to keep their cool, right? So act like one."

Conway's words echoed through my head. Maybe that's what you do, but it doesn't have to be who you are.

He was right. I'm not a hitman. Not on the inside. I'm afraid, I'm weak, I'm a failure. Just like my father said.

Sighing, I shook my head and reluctantly sat down again. Brook began to pace.

They aren't going to save Lila and Henley.

Who's going to save our girls?

Brook and I are the only ones to save Lila and Henley.

But we're trapped. What can we do?

Brook sighed and stopped her pacing. She moved to sit next to me, and I wrapped an arm around her.  She exhaled and looked at me. "Anderson told me this was for my own good. That I was too emotionally involved. That since I wasn't going to stand down, she would make me."

She closed her eyes and shook her head, lips moving in a silent prayer.

I didn't respond. I didn't know how. Blood was rushing through my ears, a roar I didn't know how to cope with.

I turned to Brook with an idea. "What did you say?"

She frowned. "Umm....since I wasn't going to stand down, Anderson would make me."

I smiled at her. "You know, the last time I was told to stand down, it was by you."

Brook nodded, and her fingers intertwined with mine. "When you fought the escapee."  She tilted her head. "But where are you going with all of this?"

"You know why the man wasn't able to escape?" I asked.

The FBI Director suppressed a groan. "Just get to the point."

I hid my grin and held up my hands. "Just trying to create a dramatic moment."

Brook nodded. "As you were saying?"

I rubbed my hands together and smiled. "The man couldn't escape because he didn't have any help."  I looked around. "And I suspect I have some help that will be coming rather soon...."

Jay Adler's POV

Charles held his hands up. "Look, I'm not going to be a part of anything illegal. And breaking someone out of prison is most definitely against the law."

I nodded. "I figured as much."

I took the keys from the chauffeur and opened the car door.

"Wait," Charles said. I turned to him and impatiently.  "What are you planning on doing?"

I smirked. "You said you don't want to be involved in anything illegal. The less you know, the better. I'll call you when I know where we're headed."

I closed the car door and zoomed off.  Back to the airport.

I smirked. God, Nick really couldn't do anything by himself.