Chapter 2 - A Dagger In The Night

After spending the last week planning for one of stepmothers most extravagant parties the day has finally arrived. I was given the strict orders to "disappear" for the night, just like every other party. But I'm not complaining, any chance I get to be away from her I take.

So after the party started I grabbed my guitar and my dagger, just incase, and throw on my black hooded cloak that's big enough to hid my face. I quietly sneak out of the house, undetected.

Since it is night the orphanage is closed from having visitors so I go somewhere no one knows about, a place in the forest behind the village. A place that my mother used to take me too whenever father went out working. It now has become my secret hide away, when I want to feel close to her and away from my life.

Once there I take out my guitar and start to play a lullaby that my mother used to always sing for me when I was little. Her voice was like an angel; soft and sweet. She was a master at playing the guitar, and she taught me how to play as soon as I learned how to walk

We used to come here and she'd bring her guitar and we'd sing for hours. That was the best.

Now my life is filled with bleak moments, the only ray of light in my life is when I go to the orphanage and see all the smiles on those little kids face. Or my few moments with Daphne, but I treasure every moment.

After a couple of hours out here singing and thinking about my mother and the joy she brought with her, I'm jolted out of my stumper to the sound of horses trotting.

I immediately silence my singing and quickly hid behind a tree, keeping my guitar behind me and lift the hood of my cloak up over my head so that my face is hidden. I grab the dagger and hold it up to my chest. I have no idea what to do with a dagger, I don't think I would even use it on anyone, but it might scare someone away.

Suddenly the horse trotting stopped and I can hear people climb off of them, "Are you sure you heard someone?" one of the people ask, the voice sounds like it came from a girl.

"I could have sworn I heard a person singing." another person says, the voice is obviously a man's, with a deep baritone, but not so deep like he doesn't sound like an old man.

"Maybe you misheard?" the same girl questions, I pray that guy listens to her and they walk away, because I don't know what to do in a fight.

"I don't think so, I could have sworn.." the man trails off, but their voices are becoming louder and that means they're getting closer and I'm getting more anxious. The trio of people then walk in front of the tree I'm behind, walking right by me without noticing me. I try to make my escape by moving backwards, but I accidentally step on a pile of leaves, catching the attention of all three of the mysterious people.

They all turn around and face me, but before I take off running I catch the sight of a pair of stunning blue eyes, and my breath is caught in my throat. Then before those beautiful eyes have the time to even blink I take off running.

I can hear rustling behind me, and I know they're chasing me. I just make it past their horses when I feel two arms wrap around me and take me down to the ground. My body hits the ground with a 'thump" and pain radiates through my stomach. The person's body lying over mine almost suffocating, and I can tell it's a man's body whose over me.

I try to wiggle free from his hold, but he is too strong. Then I feel him get up and hoist my shoulders up so I am now on my knees with the stranger's strong grip on my shoulders. I look over and see my guitar and dagger on the ground next me.

I think it's safe to say that I am terrified, being in the hands of people I don't know and having no idea what they want with me. All the worst thoughts coming to mind, rape, torture, murder. I probably look like a scared little girl who just heard the story of monsters living under the staircase.