Chapter 7 - Memories That Bring Us Close

Bastian

"Why were you out?"

Is the first question I'm asked after we enter the palace. After Johanna and I unsaddled the horses and made sure that they were all secured in their pens.

I sent Jo away after that, letting her get some rest and I just escorted Amalie up to her room and we are now standing outside her room and she has been talking to me nonstop about Winter.

Asking questions. Wanting to know who she is, if that is who I danced with at my birthday ball, if I purposely went out to find her.

If I'm being honest I would have preferred to stay in that forest with Winter talking about how she became so skilled with playing the guitar. Instead I have to calm down an infuriated Amilie and hope that she doesn't wake my parents, even though they are the third floor and we are on the second.

"Amalie, I told you I was on a stroll, I happen to come across her and we exchanged pleasantries, nothing more." I say, even though I wish there was more to it.

She bites her lips in compilation, I want to roll my eyes, I don't appreciate being treated as a little boy who broke a rule. Well technically I did; leaving the palace walls without someone on the king's guard. But this is not her place to treat me this way.

She keeps going on and on about Winter, but I don't feel comfortable talking about Winter. She feels personal, she's not someone you just talk about out of gusto, when you talk about Winter Edison you have to talk about her with care and gentleness. That every word attach to her needs to be treated like fragile glass.

Said with the certainly as reading a royal decree. With love and assurance in what you saying. Not rushed with unattached words that don't do her justice.

"Amalie I will not be discussing this further with you, I went out for a walk, that's all. I will not tolerate being spoken to like a four year old who snuck a cookie out of the cookie jar. I respect you so I do not mean this harshly but drop the conversation. Go to bed and we'll speak in the morning." I say, trying to keep my calm.

She begrudgingly agrees and nods her head.
Before she goes she says, "I'm sorry my love, I just worry about your safety I would die a thousand deaths if that girl hurt you." She spits "that girl" out, "You now your a royal prince and she is probably a maid, she just wants you wealth and I would be crush if she hurt you. But you are right we shouldn't be focused on things like her, how about you help me with some wedding details tomorrow."

I nod my head, irritated that she is speaking of Winter as if she's dirt on the ground, but I say nothing not wanting to feed into her anger and what I think is jealousy for Winter.

"Whatever you wish." I say and kiss her hand. She moves up to me and kisses my cheek and I fight the urge to cringe away from her personal space, "I can't wait until we're wed." She says licking her lips, then backs away and shuts her door.

I let out a long await breath and turn back to my chambers. Trying my hardest to ignore the fact that in less than three months my life will change and not with the women I would chose it to change with.

~...~...~

Winter

A couple of days have past since I last saw the prince and like everyday after I first laid eyes on him he is all I think about. But this has been going on for six weeks now and I learned quickly how to cover up my daydreaming and very wrong thoughts about him.

I don't very much like him clouding every thought of my mind, it's distracting, and I know I shouldn't be thinking a about him in this way but it's like my mind is only available to thoughts of him.