Chapter 2

After what felt like forever, Carter finally pulled me away from Wyatt and turned me to look at him.

"Don't cry for him, Zoe. You are an amazing girl and he doesn't know what he's missing." He told me wiping away my tears. I tried to smile but the pain in my heart was too strong. My wolf kept howling for her mate and part of me wanted to run over to Tai and beg him to reconsider.

"I can't believe your mate is Tai Johnson of all people." Wyatt said. He slammed his fist against the door. I flinched a little. "Then he had the nerve to reject you in front of the whole school. At least Amanda rejected me while we were alone."

I wiped away my tears and tried to push away the hurt. God it was so painful. Why did he have to reject me? Was he feeling the same pain I was right now?

"Oh God...I can't go to my first period. Tai is in that class and—" I started but Wyatt cut me off.

"No! Don't let him see how much you've been hurt. We'll figure this out later but you have to be strong Zoe." Wyatt turned me towards him and wiped away my remaining tears. "Believe me, I know how much it hurts right now and how much it sucks but don't let him see that. Don't let anyone see that. Hold your head up high like the Alpha you are and make him regret what he's done."

"But—"

"He's right Zoe," Carter added nodding. "That guy's a douche and he's just gonna keep hurting you if he sees how much pain he caused you." I nodded. They were right. I never really talked to Tai before but I do remember hating him for keeping Amanda knowing she was Wyatt's mate. Now he rejected me in front of the whole school humiliating me.

"Ok." I breathed. "Ok. I'll hide my pain, just like you Wyatt. I'm so sorry this is what it felt like for you." He gave me a small smile and kissed my forehead then hugged me. "I'll make him regret the day he ever rejected me."

"That's my girl." Carter said opening the janitor's closet. "Now let's go to class and act like we always do." He stretched out his hand towards me and I grabbed it giving him the best smile I could with my heart still shattered.

"I'll be right here when you get out of class." Wyatt told me as we reached my class. Carter gave my hand a gentle squeeze and I nodded at Wyatt. I walked into class and luckily there weren't too many people in class yet. There were a few humans who were none the wiser to what had happened and a few werewolves who gave me either evil smirks or sympathetic smiles. I ignored all of them and let Carter walk me over to my seat. I sat down and he sat down on my desk. He crossed his arms and smiled at me.

"Hey, I got you something." He told me. I actually perked up a little bit.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Yeah." He nodded. "I just didn't want to give it to you in front of Wyatt." He laughed and pulled out a small box wrapped in pink wrapping paper. I smiled at it but my smile dropped as I felt Tai enter the room though the bond that was still there even though he rejected me. He was with two of his friends both who were there this morning. "Open it!" Carter said a little too loud and a little too cheery. It snapped me out of my longing for Tai.

Ignore him and act like his rejection is killing me. I told myself.

"Ok, ok!" I said trying to make it sound like I was laughing. I felt Tai's gaze on me as he sat down next to me. I hated that that was his seat. It never bothered me before but now it was killing me. I focused on the box and ripped apart the paper. A small velvet box reviled itself. I looked up at Carter and raised a questioning eyebrow.

"O-PEN it!" he whined bouncing on desk causing the whole thing to shake with him. I smiled a bit and opened it. A small golden locket in the shape of a heart sat in the middle of the box. My eyes went wide and I gasped. I picked up the locket and brought it close so I could read it. The name Zoe was engraved on it with perfect script.