Chapter 5

Zoe

Two weeks.

A fortnight.

That's how long my wolf cried inside me. Cried for her mate who rejected us. That's how long I let depression take me. That's how long it took me to stand up, look into the mirror and tell myself to suck it up and get on with it.

I had been crying every night for the past two weeks because my wolf wanted me to go out and find our mate. I never did only to have her howl and cry inside me. Her pain was my pain so we both ended up crying together.

Wyatt and Carter were always there, picking up the pieces much like Carter and I had been there for Wyatt a year ago when this happened to him. Back then, I couldn't even imagine the pain he was going through. Now, if Wyatt had gone through everything I had been going through and was the man he was now then, I could push on and do the same.

Just gotta keep on keeping on.

Last night, the three of us talked and decided Wyatt and I would pretend to be a couple. We would be the happiest couple out there. Part of me didn't want to do this. What if I ended up really liking Wyatt and this ruined our friendship? I think losing him would hurt me more than it did losing Tai.

I thought about pulling this off with another guy but so many people were more interested in impressing Tai than hurting him. At least the guy got respect from his pack.

When Wyatt's car pulled into the driveway with Carter, I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly as I walked towards the car.

Just breathe. My wolf told me. She was more on board with this plan than I was. But she liked Wyatt's wolf and she liked Wyatt. When I got to the car, Carter got out and began to strip. I stopped, wide eyed and looked at him.

"What are you doing?!" I blanched. He just gave him his roguish smile and winked. The second he was nude he shifted into his wolf, grabbed his clothes in his mouth and began to run in the direction of the school. "What just happened?" I asked Wyatt as I got into the car.

"We are going to be appearing in school alone today. You know...like a real couple." He told me.

"Oh...ok." I replied and swallowed a lump in my throat.

Wyatt pulled out of my driveway and we drove to school in silence. We were a few blocks from school when he finally spoke breaking it.

"I know you must be thinking something along the lines of 'what if this ruins our friendship?' Well, I've been thinking the same thing and...how about you and I make a game out of this?"

I raised my eyebrow at him. "I'm listening."

"I'll try to surprise you all day and you can try to surprise me all day. At the end of the day, whoever surprised the other more wins." He gave me his award winning smile.

"What do I win?" I told him, accepting the "game" we were going to play.

"When I win I want your, still in the box, autographed, Mega Man 10th anniversary figure." I gasped but he held up a finger to stop my complaint. "If you win I'll give you my autographed Mega Man helmet."

"OOO." I said intrigued. I was a huge Mega Man fan and that autographed helmet was something I had wanted for years. He never caved because Wyatt was a just as big Mega Man fan as I was. "Are you sure you want to lose your helmet?" I asked as we pulled into the school parking lot.

"Please. You're gonna lose and don't come crying to me when you have to hand over your most prized possession."

"You're on." I told him smirking.