chapter 4

Dinner was going great. I learned a little more about Dean. First off, he is 26, his last name was Tomlinson and he grew up in Los Angeles, California. No wonder he has that surfer boy look. Both his mom and dad and his twin sister Kim. He graduated from USC about a year ago majoring in Accounting. After he graduated, he moved to DC and opened his own Accounting Firm, which I found very impressive. He was not just a pretty face. He was intelligent. Something that I seem to find highly attractive. He was living here in DC without any family or friends. That is until he met Bryan at the gym, and they have been friends ever since. I still am on the fence about him, mainly because he is friends with that guy. But maybe I am being too harsh. Or maybe my body is overriding my brain.

"So what about you Nicole? Tell me about yourself?" He leaned back in his chair so casually, I thought he was being disingenuous when he asked, but that warm smile he gave said otherwise.

"Well, I am 21. I grew up in Baltimore, Maryland. My mother Brenda is a veterinarian, and my dad Mark is a gynecologist. He has his own practice." I told him, my voice full of pride. I love my parents. They have given me a lot. Thank God for those glasses of wine I had. I was able to talk to him without being a complete idiot.

"So your dad gets to look at vaginas all day and get paid for it?" Dean asked giving me a half-smile

"I guess you could say that." I narrowed my eyes at him. Handsome, intelligent with a sense of humor. Could he be any more perfect?

I told him how I met everyone else at the dinner table. Tracy and Bryan were so into each other that they didn't hear me bad-mouth Bryan to Dean. I took a look over at them while I was talking. Tracy seemed so happy sitting close to Bryan. And he looked happy as well. I guess I would have to sit back and see what actually happens with them. I hope it works out, but if not I am here to pick up the pieces.

We were all talking and laughing when the doorbell rang. I looked at Tracy who just gave me a shrug. Who is here randomly dropping by?

"I will go see who that is," I said to everyone. I looked up at Dean who was watching me rise from the table. His eyes slowly looking over my body, making me feel self-conscious. Why does he have to look at me like that? I felt as if I wanted the floor to swallow me whole, just so I didn't feel so exposed from his stare. I walked out of the room making sure not to switch my hips since I knew he was still watching. But that is kind of hard to do since I have a big butt.

I walked to the front door and opened it. To my surprise, our good friend Mike was standing on the opposite side of the door.

"MIKE!!!" I screamed capturing him in a hug unable to contain my excitement.

"Damn Nikki. Miss me much," he said barely able to breathe.

I let him go and pulled him into the house by his elbow. We haven't seen Mike for almost 3 months. His mother was sick with breast cancer. So he went home right before summer break to go home and take care of her. His older sister Tammy moved back from Florida, to their mom's house, so that Mike could finish school. All his mother wanted was for him to get a college degree. Mike didn't grow up with wealthy parents as I did. He was the first person in his family to go to college. So it was very important to his family that he finished college and did something spectacular with his life.

"Whose Mercedes is out front in the driveway" Mike stated pointing to the front door.

"I don't know. I think it might be Deans or Bryan." I said waiting for the second name to register to Mike.

"Wait. Who is Dean? And I know you didn't just say, Bryan. As in Bryan Clark?"

"The very one." I laughed looking at the disgust on Mike's face. He has never liked Bryan after the way he treated Tracy and a few of his other friends. Can't say that I don't blame him.