Chapter 2

🌟

One year later

I walked along the beach, searching for the old worn out pier that I knew my friends would be perched on. Tomorrow was the 70th annual reaping of district 4.

I knew Finnick and I couldn't be chosen again, but certainly Annie could. Her name was put in many times due to the tessarae, just as Finnick's and I had. If Annie were chosen I didn't know what to do, or even what I could do.

I continued down the sand until I reached the pier. On the wooden planks sat Annie and Finnick. Both good friends of mine. I climbed up the steps that led to the platform.

The pier was a 200 foot long wooden dock that lacked railings. They had been meeting here for years, practically since they became friends. I sat beside Annie who's hair kept fluttering up in the wind like it was alive.

Annie was a beautiful girl, she was 17 and had district fours common brown hair and deep blue eyes. She was fairly popular and all the boys secretly liked her. Even Finnick thought she was at least pretty, but they had been friends with each other since they were practically in diapers.

I had come into the picture later, when we were starting year 5 at school. That would have made us all 10. Although Annie had a late birthday and was almost half a year younger than us.

I didn't fit into the group right away but once they accepted I wasn't going anywhere, Annie took me under her wings and forced Finnick to hang out with me so I would have more friends. Finnick had eventually taken a liking to me and all three of us became close.

When Finnick was in the games Annie and I would crowd in front of Annie's small TV and watch every second. Every televised hit he took, every breath he breathed, and fear he felt, we had seen. Every struggle was met with hope and encouragement from his girls back home.

I wasn't sure what Annie did during my games but I had a feeling she did the same for me as they did for Finnick. Just sit and watch.

Finnick was with me the whole time, mentoring and collecting sponsors.

Annie patted my hand, "If I get called for those games tomorrow, just... watch. Like I did for both of you. I know I won't be near as much of a coward if I know the two bravest souls in panem are watching."

She chuckled at the thought. Not like she thought it was funny, but more so like she couldn't believe she lived in a world where she could be thrown in an arena and be expected to kill.

"You won't be picked, you only have your name in three times and I had mine in five. You'll be fine." I said, throwing my arm over Annie's shoulder. "And even if you are, me and Finnick will be with you the whole time. Up until you are raised into the arena." I said.

"Absolutely, all the way." Finnick sighed. He reached for Annie's hand.

The trio sat there a hour or two more. Not saying anything. Just being there together. Annie started rocking back and forth, back and forth.

"Guys I can't stay much longer, its getting late and dad is expecting me back soon." She quickly pecked Finn on the cheek, hugged my shoulders, and stood up before anyone could say anything. She ran off down the dock waving a quick goodbye and raced off towards her cottage. Finnick and I got up too.