Chapter 8

After we got off our Chariot, Finnick decided we should mingle. "It'll help with getting allies! Come on." He sounded happy to see his old friends again.

"Alright, but only to scope out friend from foe." I pointed out.

Finnick pulled me along to talk to people. "You know, Cashmere, and her brother, Gloss." He said to us. "Yes I believe we've met a few times. You might not remember." Cashmere said cooly.

"No, I do, it's nice seeing you again." I said shaking each of their hands.

I met beetee and wiress from 3 and The morphlings from 6. I also talked to chaff and seeder along with Brutus, Enobaria, Peeta, and Johanna. I was now getting super hungry. "I gotta eat something soon. I'm famished." I complained to Finnick.

He laughed "You're so dramatic. Come on, we can get you dinner anyway." He said, chuckling and pushing me forward by my shoulder.

We decided to go back and eat with Lacey.
We sat in silence. There didn't seem to be much to say. Lacey sat across from me and didn't say much either, not until we were almost finished.

"So you kids think you made enough friends?" She asked suddenly.

I snorted, "Oh yeah, Finnick really hit it off with twelve."

Lacey glared at him, "What did you do?" she accused.

"I didn't do anything. Okay maybe I was a little rude but can you blame me? That girl is intimidating." He joked.

"And a potential ally. I've already talked to Haymitch, their mentor. He's going to try and get them to agree to ally with you. Hopefully things go smoothly."

It was the next morning and we started out first training session in a hour but I still haven't gotten out of bed. My skull felt like it was being split open because of a massive headache.

Someone knocked on my door and I groaned in response. The person waited a few moments before opening the door. Finnick peeked in. "You awake?" He asked. I shook my head from where I was tucked away, under the covers.

He stepped in and left the door wide open. "Hey, Cordelia." He greeted me. "You gotta get up! Seriously. You have an hour." He gestured to the skintight outfit that I really didn't want to wear.

"Not a chance." I hissed from under my cocoon of blankets. He sighed and sat down on the bed. "Delia, you have too, I don't want to go either but it's required. Come on get up." I sat up and glared at him.

"I have the worst headache, it really hurts. Do you know if there could be some pain killers somewhere?" I asked. "I don't know, I'll go ask around. Be right back." He slipped out the door.

He came back with a strange orange liquid in a small cup. "Here drink this" He said handing it to me. I gulped it down and my face screwed up at the nasty taste. "Ugh, what is this?" I asked, glad that I could already feel my headache ease away.

He laughed at my reaction, "Not sure. Come on get up." I did as he asked and rolled out of bed, and onto my feet. I'm sure my bed head and baggy eyes were looking especially wonderful this morning.

I shooed him out and got dressed myself before heading out to see the world. The capital medicine worked great, my head felt great actually and I was in a much better mood. Lacey, Tulle, and Finnick were all waiting at the table for breakfast.

"Ah, the owl is finally awake." Tulle laughed. "Sorry I wasn't feeling well. But I'm better now." I said grabbing some pastries before quickly shoving them in my mouth. Everyone else was done or almost there so Nona's wait to eat rule was out the window. And I was kinda mad at her anyway after that dream.

In no less than ten minutes, Tulle had ushered Finnick and I to the elevator and wished us good luck. We sat in silence for a moment before Finnick asked, "What do you plan to do?"

"I don't know, whatever looks interesting I guess. Maybe some knot tying, or something to help if we have trouble finding water. What about you?" I asked back.

"Probably combat training. Nothing special. I could help teach you if you want." He offered.

"I would like that." I said smiling up at his tall form.

We walked out of the elevator and into the training center. I look around and see Brutus and Enobaria from two, Chaff and seeder from eleven, Katniss and Peeta from twelve, and a few others I can't remember the names of. I take notice of a station dedicated to blades and head over there.

Swords, daggers, and katanas are all lined up on the table. I smile at the man behind the counter. We talk a few minutes before he decides that a small light long sword would be a good option for me.

I pick one up and balance it in my hands. It feels strange but I decide to test it out. I walk up to a dummy and swing. Over and over I slash the dummy before cotton stuffing is oozing out and I grow tired. I decide I like the weapon. I set the sword down and thank the man.

I look around for Finnick and see him talking to Katniss. I shuffle over to the knot tying station where Katniss looks awkward with Finnicks arms around her.

I stalk up to them. "What's going on here?" I ask gesturing to the knots on the table.

I know Finnick. He is just trying to make the girl blush and he's doing a wonderful job. They all poke some fun a katniss for being so young, and so innocent. She's easy to mess with, so I know Finnick isn't getting up to any risqué behavior with her.

Katniss jumps at my voice and wiggles from under Finnicks arm. He just grins at me "Hey Cordelia. I was just teaching Katniss here how to tie a proper knot." He said finishing the noose and showing it to me. He sticks his head in and pretends to hang.

"Hm." I hum to myself. I join him in making knots like I used to as a kid. I see Katniss walk over to a different station. I start my first knot and in a moment it's perfectly tied. "That didn't, you know bother you, did it?" Finnick asked, coming to stand beside me.

"Did what bother me?" I ask, trying to seem unaffected by how close he was. He gestured to katniss. "The thing... you know with katniss." He said cautiously, as if he wasn't sure how to read my silence.

"Oh... no! why would it bother me?" I ask.

"i just know how you're madly in love with me, that's all. I just wanted to make sure you weren't to jealous."

"Oh, how did you find out? I thought I was hiding it so well." I said, sighing dramatically, "I'm just so embarrassed. How will you ever look at me the same again?" I asked, grinning slyly.

"I've known for quite a while. It's hard to pass up a face like this." He said smirking.

I rolled my eyes. "You're a fool, Finnick Odair." I said finishing my last knot.

"Only for you."