Chapter 7

The prep team was a lot quicker this year. Maybe they had more direct orders. They did my hair, nails, and skin within two hours. My stylist, Calibos, was in and had the chariot dress out before I could say please help me. The dress this year looked basically like every other chariot dress from district four tributes.

It was teal, shimmery, and reached the middle of my calves. I liked the length but the top was a a bit revealing. The chest was way to low and I don't exactly have a small chest size. The girls would definitely be on display. "Oh, um." I said in the mirror. "Could we uh do something about the chest?" I asked hopefully.

"You do not like it?" Calibos demanded. He looked upset. "It's not that, the dress is beautiful but I think the top could be higher for my own comfort." I offered.

"Its to late and besides, the hunger games is not about comfort, is it?" He chuckled.

I sighed, "No I suppose not."

-~-

"OK never mind about my outfit being revealing. I think we need to find a blanket or something to cover you with." I said, not able to look Finnick any where but the eyebrows. Eyebrows seemed safe right now.

Finnick was wearing nothing, like literally nothing but a little bit of rope. I'm thankful that at least there is something, but what are district four stylists drinking?

"What, Don't tell me your aren't enjoying all of this!" He gestured to himself and gave his award winning smile. "Sugar cube?" He held out a stack of sugar he had been munching on. "You're full of fish snot, Finnick Odair." I laughed and took a cube.

"Fish snot? District four's are so weird." A girl said from behind me. I turned to see Johanna. She and I were friends but we weren't close like she and Finnick were.

"Johanna! How are you?" Finnick asked, and gave her a hug. I waved to the girl, "Hi Johanna." Finnick let go of her. "Hey Beck. I'm good." She replied. "Well, I would be, If it weren't for the capitol forcing us into the arena again." Her tone turned bitter.

I noticed Katniss Everdeen petting a chariot horse.
"I'll leave you two to catch up, I'm going to go meet Everdeen." I said. "OK, don't wander off. I'll be there in a second." Finnick teased.

I casually wandered towards the younger girl. "Katniss Everdeen, correct?" I asked stopping a couple feet away from her. She looked up surprised, "Yeah, you're Beck Delmare, you won the 68th year." She asked.

"Yeah, I am. Are you happy to be back?" I asked.

"What? Am I happy to go back? I couldn't be more the opposite. This is the last place I want to be." She asked.

"I think it's the last place anyone wants to be, but you never know, there are always a few weird, very violent people." I explained.

Katniss nodded in thought.

"Katniss!" Finnick laughed from behind me. "Sugar cube?" he asked. "I mean, it's supposed to be for the horses, but who cares about them right? They have years to eat sugar, whereas you and I? Well if we see something sweet we better grab it." he explained, extending his hand for her to take one.

"No thanks, but I would love to borrow that outfit someday." She replied back snarkily. It seems the girl on fire has got fire.

"You look pretty terrifying in that getup! What happened to the pretty little girl dresses?" He shot back.

"I outgrew them."

"You certainly did."

"You'll have to ignore him he's a big flirt." I explained.

Katniss had barely looked at me to respond when Finnick spoke again, "A shame about this quell thing. Now you, you could have made out like a bandit in the capital jewels, money, anything you wanted."

"Well I don't like jewels and I have more money than I need. What did you do with all your wealth anyway? " she asked.

"I haven't dealt in anything as common as money in years."

"Well then how do people pay for the pleasure of your company?" She asked mockingly.

I knew what she was thinking, it was what most people thought, and honestly I didn't know what Finnick did on his trips to the capitol.

I had asked him several times why he left for weeks at a time, leaving with no warning and appearing again like nothing happened, his eyes a little sadder than when he left. His answer was always "Capital buisness." and then he would change the subject.

Finnick leaned in close to us. "With secrets. What about you, girl on fire? Any secrets worth my time?"

"I'm an open book, everybody always seems to know my secrets before I know them myself." She said, looking thoroughly annoyed.

"Unfortunately I think that's true." We turned and saw peeta approaching. Which reminded me, "I'm sorry about your wedding, I'm sure it would have been lovely." I said sincerely.

"I know how devastating it must be for you. Have a good day." Finnick said mockingly. I frowned at his tone. This whole conversation he had been a jerk.

Finnick put his arm around my shoulders casually as I walked past he and Katniss. I glared at him, and pulled away. "Hi Peeta." I said as he walked to katniss, looking confused. "Peeta." Finnick said curtly. Peeta nodded back in reply.

"Come on, we gotta get back to the cart." I said to Finnick not looking at him.

"What's wrong?" He asked, finally breaking his too cool for you attitude. "You were fine thirty seconds ago. "

"You're acting like a different person. You're acting like a jerk." I proclaimed. "You were totally out of line when we were talking to Katniss."

He sighed, "I'm just on edge, that's all. And besides I'm just having some fun. Poking fun at the girl. Haven't you noticed, half the victors are planning to do something to shake her up." He said, placing his hand on my shoulder.

This time I let him. "Okay. Just promise me you'll go back to the Finnick Odair I know." I said hoisting myself up on our teal cart. Finnick reached out and lifted me the rest of the way by my waist.

"I promise. If I'm not, you can ignore me." He said, pulling himself up in the cart.

"Nah, you're the only friend I got." I said smiling, "And besides, I'll need an ally in the games."

"That's a deal." he said shaking my hand.