Chapter 18

Finnick has his eyes open again, "You need to submerge your head next. It hurts the most but you'll feel better." I explain to him. He nods.

I call over Peeta and we sit him up. Luckily since I sat in the water so long supporting Finnick, my leg and side was much better and I had most of the feeling back.

Peeta and I got on either side of Finnick, gripping his hands. He lowers himself into the water, washing out his eyes, throat, and nose. He still couldn't speak at all but he looked to be in better shape.

"I'm going to go tap a tree." Katniss announces.

"Let me make the hole first." Peeta offers. I fish the awl out of my belt and hand it over to him. "You should stay with them. You're the healer." Peeta says to Katniss.

Katniss sits back down beside me and starts undoing her braid. Clumps of her long brown hair fall out due to the fog. She winced at the damage but pulls it back into another braid.

I pat my braids and hope they were able to protect most of my hair although unlikely.

As Finnick sits up and starts to slowly move around, I take the braids out and watch as hundreds of strands land in the water. I sigh and gather the remainder of my hair in the back of my head to a low pony tail.

3rd person POV

Finnick was swimming around in the water, Beck had just joined him after fixing her hair.

They swam very similarly, gliding through the water like it was their natural habitat. They seemed to be having a good time, splashing around, pushing each other over.

Katniss looked at the two and noticed how comfortable they were with each other. They must have been close friends for years. Or maybe they weren't just friends, the way that Finnick looked at the district four girl was full of love and admiration. Her look for him was similar but she seemed more shy about it, not sure it was really there.

In the second Katniss had looked away to scan her surroundings and looked back, Finnick had gone under. Beck didn't look the least bit bothered, maybe even amused.

Katnissed watched for awhile until it had to be past a minute, "Where is F-"

He springs up suddenly beside her, and Katniss jumps in surprise. "Don't do that!" She says.

"What? Come up or stay under?" He asks back cheekily.

"Either. Neither. Whatever. Just soak in the water and behave. Or if you feel this good, let's go help Peeta." She says.

So they do, the trek from the beach to the thick jungle is short.

Katniss suddenly becomes serious and looks up. Dozens of the orange creatures are above them. She taps Finnick who now notices the creatures. Beck grabs her sword from her belt as they ready their weapons.

"Peeta. I need your help with something." Katniss calmly calls to him.

"Okay, just a minute. I think I've just about got it." He says, continuing to hammer into the tree. "Yes there. Have you got the spile?"

"I do. But we've found something you'd better take a look at, only move towards us quietly, so you don't startle it."

"Okay..." He says, starting to move towards the edge of the jungle where the three were.