His Perfect Imperfections / Chapter 13

Have you ever gotten one of those “oh shit” moments? When you think that things realistically couldn't get any worse and yet they still manage to prove you wrong? Right. I can say I've had my fair share of these “oh shit” moments, but none of them were quite as big as the one right in front of me.

He watched my expression. Unaware face I was making, I knew based on his it likely wasn't anything grand. After some time he reached for his phone and typed something new. HellBlasters name came up on my notifications screen, but I still couldn't believe it.

It was almost like fate was desperate to get us together.

A bit hesitantly I swiped the lock screen my phone. 'You don't look good. Are you ill?’

'No… Just a little shocked.’

I wanted to run. It was one of the only times of my life I really wished I was an ostrich out in the desert. I'd bury my head and never come out if I could.

'Can you hang out with me after school?’ He asked through the chat. I nearly fell out of my seat.

'I’m busy.’

I could see the disgust in his eyes as he read what I sent. He even gave me a nasty look as his thumbs worked to type something new.

'Is it Trevor?’

My hand thumbs froze over the keys. Given the fight from yesterday it seemed he was keeping a distance from me. Which was certainly new, but after the last 'new’ thing I wasn't so sure about this one.

'Homework. Trevor isn't talking to me right now.’

He frowned at the reply. 'What happened?’

I felt uneasy about this. 'Yesterday…’ I glossed over everything. From the rape to the naked walk home. Simply based on his expression, I knew he was about to lecture me like my brother.

'Come with me after school.’

I frowned at the text. 'I told you. I'm busy.’

'I want us to be friends. That can't happen if you're stuck at home doing homework.’

'I have to get it done.’

'Then come with me and we can do homework at my house.’

For a moment I just stared at the message. Maybe he really didn't know anything about me. Although those friends of his should have told a few stories. Kindness just wasn't something I'd grown used to. In fact, it was something I didn't trust.

Oliver, no, Jake, leaned forward again. “Are you going to answer me?”

My hands stopped shaking as I set the phone down. All I kept asking was why. Why is he so hell bent on talking with me? Has he really not heard of me? “I'm just going home after school.”

“You really don't want to get to know me, huh?”

I frowned. “I really don't think you want to know me.” I mumbled, but he still caught on.

“I told you,” he leaned forward, whispering. The other two were busy playing games on their phones. “I don't care about rumors and stories other people tell. And it isn't out of pity either. We had fun talking before, didn't we?” I kept silent. “We've already kind of gotten to know each other. I'm not a bad person, if that's what your thinking.”

Realistically anyone can be anyone on the internet. That's curse as well as a virtue. “It's just that I really didn't think anyone from school would be on that site.”