His Perfect Imperfections / Chapter 22

I held my aching ribs while I continued to slowly eat my cereal. It'd already been a few days and Jake was out of the hospital. With a cast, but back in school. As for Trevor, he was finally suspended from school (why he wasn't before, I had no idea).

Everything was over.

Or, to some extent.

Jake never replied to any of my text messages ever since the kiss. It left me wondering if what happened was even genuine; or if he really likes me in some way.

“Alex, did you hear me?” Mom asked. She was leaning against the wall with a piece of paper in her hands. “Get dressed. Your appointment is at twelve.”

“I don't really want to go.” I told her, lowering myself on the surface of the dinning table.

She sighed, sitting across from me. “Look, it'll be easier on you to talk to someone.”

“I don't want to.”

Talking seemed like a hassle. Not to mention, to a total stranger. It didn't exactly leave me messed up, either. Although people assumed I was screwed up now. Believe me, I heard the rumors. It was just that, with all the pity, it was making me upset.

My mother sat across from me. “Look, I know it's hard, but what he did to you isn't okay. We don't care about your sexuality. We just want to make sure your okay.”

“I am okay.” I promise.

She kept giving me her concerned look. “Well, if you don't want to talk to a therapist, would you be comfortable talking to one of us?” I shook my head. “What can I do to help, Alex?”

“I just… want to be left alone, okay?” I pushed the bowl away from me. “I'm not hungry anymore.”

“Okay, but don't stay in your room all da-” I got up, stomping my way to the stairs. “Alex!”

I slammed my bedroom door shut and plopped down on my bed. Recently my phone had erupted with plenty of text messages from Michael and Lindsay. I hadn't made any texts since the hospital with Jake; and I wasn't planning to.

Eventually I'd fallen asleep, only waking up to a ping of my phone. My eyes hurt, so did my head, and the light of my screen in the pitch black room only made worse.

HellBlaster.

I shot up on my bed, irritating my hurt ribs, but opened it as quickly as possible.

'I want to talk to you… please don't be angry with me.’

I reread the message repeatedly. 'I’m not mad… just a little irritated. First you kiss me then tell me to go home. I don't get it. Don't confuse me.’

A few minutes passed. My heart hurt with how quickly it was pounding. It hadn't felt this way since the beginning with Trevor. It was nostalgic, good and bad. Nearly made me sick to my stomach.

Ping. 'Can I go over?’

'Sure.’

He ruined things, didn't he? He didn't have to do any of this. I wasn't even sure if I liked him. Damn it! I threw my phone down. Why was he doing this? It's so damn confusing.

I'm losing my usual composure.

“Alex!” My mother hallored.

I threw my door open. “What is it?”

“You have a visitor!” I heard her talking more, but her voice had muffled out.

He couldn't be here now, right?