Part 6

It had taken everything Lian had not to pace outside the Golden Slumbers after she'd officially purchased her first home. She hadn't owned a home since she'd been a real Shuli Go sixteen years earlier: that one had been a tiny shack near the center of her Go – the administrative division she'd been charged with protecting. It was a relief in one way, a joy in another, and a pain too, the thought of spending another 2% of her wealth digging into her like a needle in the ribs, a pain that was especially acute because it was not dulled by the highs of a night with Mei. Still, she had a place she could stay for a while, and to give herself something to do the rest of the day, she checked herself out of the expensive inn and moved all her belongings into the new home.

Her new sets of clothes in a dresser, her swords on the ground in front of it, and the six and a half gold remaining that she had not deposited in the bank did not fill even one tiny corner of the room, so she took the remaining half gold and set about furnishing the apartment. A new bed set her back five silver, a second-hand dining set another silver and fifty copper, cookware and bowls another fifty copper on top of that. By the time she was all done, the half gold had disappeared, the apartment was at least livable, and she still had no idea what to do with herself.

Luckily by that point it was nearly nighttime, and after she'd made and eaten her first meal in her new home, she felt she could probably pace outside the Golden Slumbers long enough for Mei's shift to start without drawing too many stares. Halfway to the brothel though, an idea appeared to her, and she ran off to find a gift she could buy for Mei.

This proved difficult. Mostly because she didn't actually know the woman that well, but also because Lian had never really been in a position to purchase a gift for anyone before. She'd given food to the hungry, and none-too-gently persuaded those with shelter to share with those who didn't. But a gift of heft and permanence had always been outside Lian's financial abilities.

She wandered the shops and stalls of Yiwu's main square, where all the riches and extravagances of the Central Empire were available for purchase. She thought a bracelet or chain of gold too gaudy, perfume too personal, and wine too impersonal. Then she walked into a book store, lined with dozens upon dozens of old tomes and stacks of popular scrolls inscribed with poems and epic tales of dynasties long-passed. As soon as she walked in to the store she knew what she wanted, but it took her quite a while to locate the book. It was thin, the paper new and fresh-smelling, and the calligraphy was so precise Lian almost thought for a moment that it was one of the new type-set books she'd heard about being made by the religious scholars in the east. It cost five silver pieces, which suddenly felt so miniscule Lian had to remind herself just how anxious parting with the same amount had made her only two days earlier.

She arrived back at the Golden Slumbers just as the sun was setting. When she walked in the Madam greeted her once again, but informed her that Mei was seeing another client. Lian's heart and face dropped, which didn't escape the notice of the Madam.

"I wouldn't worry," the older woman – Lian could finally see the attempts to cover the lines etched around her cheeks and eyes – tried to assure Lian. "I believe I've seen this customer before. He shouldn't be more than an hour at the most." She smiled at Lian. "Please, have a seat in the waiting room, through here," the Madam led Lian to a small lounge, where velvet chairs were arrayed between tall, fragrant plants, and a semi-circular bar sat in the middle of the room.

"I will come to get you when she is available. And don't worry, I'll ensure no other customers ask for Mei tonight."

"Thank you," Lian responded, "Madam...?"

"Cicao. And of course. Please, enjoy yourself while you wait."

But Lian couldn't. The book, which had seemed so weightless before, now sat heavy in her lap as she drank glass after glass of cold water. She watched a few other guests come and go, even tried to distract herself with the sight of one of the most handsome men she'd ever seen, who served drinks behind the bar. But she couldn't stop second-guessing her purchase, and even her entire presence there. She felt like every other customer who walked in was giving her the same look Jiang had given her that morning, when he hinted that she was throwing her money away in pursuit of a prize that would never be hers. And here she was about to spend another gold piece chasing after that same prize. She felt foolish and drank the water to try and cool the blush of embarrassment she felt creeping into her cheeks.