Regrets : part 9

Micah

"May girlfriend na ba si Ernest? " tanong ni Kirsten. Nasa iisang table kami that time while Ernest was in a group of business man.

"As far as I know, wala. Bakit? Type mo" diretsang tanong ko.

"Yup. I guess you know where he lives right?" muling tanong nito.

"If I say no. I'll be a liar so yes. Look----if you like him. You can talk to him. I'm his friend not his PA" sarkastikong sagot ko.

First of all, I know her. She never settle at one, she always had a spare. And I don't like her for Ernest.

"Okay. See you around Micah" tumayo na ito at kumuha ng wine saka dumiretso kay Ernest na ngayon at tapos nang makipag usap sa mga business partners nito.

"What's with that look?" Si Tanner na hindi ko napansin na nakaupo na pala sa upuan kung saan nakaupo si Kirsten kanina lang.

"Nothing" malamig na sagot ko sabay inom ng whine.

"Micah, if I tell you I like you, are you going to avoid me?" Walang ano'y tanong nito kaya napatitig ako sa muka niya.

Ang gwapo niya para sakin. Si Poknat nga kalabisan na eh, pano pa to.

"Like me like?" A question and answer.

"Like. I wanted to court you?" sagot nito na nakatitig din sa muka ko.

"Seryoso?" Sabay taas ng kilay ko.

"Dead serious"

"Bakit ako? Ang dami diyan. Mas maganda, sopistikada. Nasa business world. Unlike me" mabilis na sagot ko.

"Let's say, you're different"

"Different like?" muling pag usisa ko.

"In every way. I can't explain. I just find you interesting"

"Really huh"

"Pwede ba?" seryoso na ang muka nito seryoso ba talaga to o nag ti-trip lang.

I shrugged " Let's see"

"How do you know Ernest? " tanong nito habang nilalaro sa mga daliri niya ang champagne glass.

I look at Ernest na ngayon ay kausap na si Kirsten. Mukhang enjoy na enjoy siya dahil panay ang tawa. Lumingon ito sa table kung saan ako nakaupo saka kumunot ang noo kung ano dahilan. Hindi ko alam.

"He's my bestfriend since childhood days. Pero nagkakasama lang kami during they're vacation dito sa Pinas. But nevertheless, we're still close till now.-----eh ikaw" bringing back the question.

"He's my cousin. But I'm older than him. Maybe five years gap. Among all my cousin, he's the closest to me. We've grown together sa US. But he's pro to tagalog words. Unlike me. But I can understand"

"Why did you choose to stay here? Or you're just taking up vacation"

"I'm staying for good coz of work, but now I had other reason to stay"

"And what is it?" Wala sa loob na tanong ko.

"Because of you"

"Are you really serious Tanner? Coz if you're just wasting my time, you can leave" masungit ba sabi ko.

"I'm not. And I will prove it to you"

***

"I'll be expecting you then" Si Kirsten.

"Sure. I'll just call you when" naka smile na sagot ko.

She's pretty, that's obvious. And smart, witty and sophisticated.

"Let's drink" pag aya nito.

I looked back and saw her busy chitchating to tanner.

She's laughing so I guess she's happy being with Tanner.

"Hey, are you with me?" She snapped me out.

"Yeah yeah, I'm sorry. Where were we?"

"As I'm saying. Maybe we could hung out together when you're free"

"Sure. That's fine with me"

"What about beach?" She suggested.

"Ok. Just tell me when" not thinking but I replied quickly.

"This weekend. Was it ok" muling tanong nito.

"Fine with me"

"You can bring micah and a friend if you like. The more the merrier"

"Okay"

I whirl and saw her dancing with him again. She's smiling, laughing what so funny.

To be continued...