12. NEST

Song; American Noise -Skillet

After the battle in the desert, Mom and Dad agree that I don't need to stay in the psych ward any longer. But, as the Autobots pointed out, Megatron and the Decepticons are still out there. They may be looking for me. So, that is why Major Lennox will be picking me up today to take me to live in NEST headquarters. My brother is upset, to say the least. Well, jealous is really the word.

I push aside these thoughts as I finish putting clothes into my duffle bag. Major Lennox should be arriving any minute. I shove my little stuffed tiger into the top of the duffle bag as I hear a truck pulling up. I look out the window to see Lennox getting out of Ironhide.

"I still don't understand why she gets to live at NEST, but not me," Sam is arguing from downstairs. "We discovered an alien race together."

"Because she is in danger, and you aren't," Lennox explains patiently, though I know he is tired of this repeating conversation by now. He comes upstairs and sees me, smiling. "Hey, kid. You ready?"

"Yes, sir," I nod as he eyes my room with the same wide eyes as everyone who sees it.

It's sparsely furnished, unless you count paint cans and bins of markers. But all over the white walls, I've painted green symbols. I still can't get them out of my head.

"I just need to say bye to my parents," I tell him, before leading him back down the stairs. But he takes the duffle bag from my shoulder, carrying it for me.

"Call me every night before bed, ok?" Mom pleads, embracing me tightly. "And remember to brush your teeth, and keep up with your school work. And, d*mn it, you better call me, Ellie!"

"I will, Mom," I promise, sighing at the childish nickname.

"Listen to the adults, honey," Dad reminds. "Just do whatever they tell you. Stay safe."

"Ok, Dad," I answer. "I love you both. Bye!"

Sam doesn't really acknowledge that I'm leaving, still upset that he has to find a job and finish college instead. On top of that, Mikaela broke up with him over a stupid fight. He doesn't even hug me back. Angered, I stomp on his foot as I walk away.

Part of me is ready just to get out of this house. To be in a place where people don't think I'm crazy and all the drama is alien to me. Literally.

"Hello, Ironhide," I greet, climbing into the passenger seat of the large black truck.

"What have you got in there kid, a dead body?" Ironhide asks grufly as Lennox puts my duffle bag in the back.

"Clothes and books," I smile innocently. But I know Ironhide has a soft spot for me, as, before I can do it myself, the seatbelt wraps itself snugly around me.

Lennox gets in the driver's seat, and we head off, Sam watching from the window.

"You had lunch yet, kid?" Lennox asks, pulling into a Dairy Queen drive thru. I nod, and he frowns. "Well, I'm starving and you need to put some meat on those bones. Let me get you something. You like ice cream?"

"It's true, you are my lightest passenger to date," Ironhide comments.

Blushing, I relent, "Ok, you can get me a small cone. But only if it's chocolate dipped."

"Now we're talking," Lennox grins. "I hate eating in front of people when they don't have something."

Lennox orders the food, and I notice he orders two drinks. I roll my eyes as, when we get to the next window, he hands me one of the large Dr Peppers along with my ice cream.