- CHAPTER TWELVE -

When Elle opened her eyes, all she saw was light

When Elle opened her eyes, all she saw was light. Lined up on the ceiling above her. She slowly blinked and sat up. She was lying on a hospital cot. As she looked around, she realized that she was in what looked like a hospital room. Everything was white except for a painting on the wall. She remembered seeing it in her history classes.

She turned onto the side of the bed, wincing when she feels a pull in her arm. She looked down to see an IV in her vein. She carefully removes the tape and slips the needle out before placing her feet on the floor. She immediately flinches, pulling them back up at the feel of the cold tile. Working up the courage, she gets to her feet and walks over to the window by the door. Looking around as much as she can, she's startled to see Jasper looking back at her. His eyes widen and he begins to wave. She quickly waves back.

She then sees someone walk down the hall in what looked like some kind of hazmat suit. They stepped in to Jasper's room and she could no longer see either of him from the window.

After a few minutes, she sits back down on her bed, knees pulled to her chest.

Soon, the same person in the hazmat suit steps into her room. She instantly scrambles back against her pillow, eyes wide as the person walks in. She realizes it's a girl that looks close to her age.

"Eleanor Kennedy? Welcome to Mount Weather. Would you like to get dressed and see the rest of your friends?"

Mount Weather? There were people living in here? That was something they hadn't planned for.

"I'm not going anywhere with you." Elle snaps, backing away.

The girl smiles politely and nods. "Very well." She says, walking out of the room and closing the door.

A few minutes later, a tall, older man walks in. He looked like something straight out of an old movie. He was wearing a blue suit that looked as if it was covered in dust. He walked over to her bed, smiling kindly at her. "Hello, Eleanor. I'm Dante Wallace." He says, holding his hand out for her to shake.

She eyes it, warily. "How do you know my name?"

He smiles. "Your people gave us your name."

"How many of us are here?"

"Forty-eight. You're not a prisoner, Eleanor. We saved you and your friends."

"If there are only forty-eight of us, we have people out there. The Ark came down last night."

"The patrol brought in everyone they could find. There were multiple crash sites over a hundred square miles. If there were survivors, we will bring them in, too. You have my word."

Elle nods. "I want to see my people." She hoped Bellamy had made it out of the blast zone.

Dante nods, gesturing for someone outside. A cart is wheeled in. "Change and meet me in the hall. We'll give you some privacy." He says, stepping out of the room.