- CHAPTER SEVENTEEN -

Tears burn in Elle's eyes and she exits the command center, feeling sick

Tears burn in Elle's eyes and she exits the command center, feeling sick. She walks toward the mess hall, followed by Clarke, Bellamy, and Monty. The tears escape, trailing down Elle's cheeks as she sees the elderly men and women, adults, and children in the room. They then come upon Jasper holding a dead Maya.

Jasper looks up, horrified. "What did you do?"

Clarke sighs. "We had no choice."

"I was gonna kill Cage! If you'd just given me one more minute, it would've been over."

Bellamy frowns. "Jasper, they never would've stopped."

Clarke looks down. "We have to go to the dorm."

She leads the way and Bellamy follows. But Elle can't remove her eyes from the many children that had been around the room. Angrily wiping her cheeks, she stumbles over to the corner of the room, throwing up into the trash can. She feels someone holding her hair back and looks up to see Bellamy.

Wiping her face, she immediately steps into his open arms, sobbing into his chest. These had been good people. Especially the children. Elle recalled seeing them play a lot as she and Monty explored Mount Weather together. It wasn't their fault.

She begins to calm down and Bellamy takes her hand, the two of them walking into the dorm together. Reunions were happening all around them. She saw Clarke and her mom hugging, Monty and Harper, Miller and his dad.

They look up as Kane walks over to them, placing a hand on Bellamy's shoulder. "You did good." He looks down at Elle. "Miss Kennedy. Glad to have you back." He says.

She smiles up at him, sadly. "Thanks, Councilor Kane."

"Now let's get these people home." He says.

Bellamy nods. "Yes, sir."

~~~~~

Elle waited outside as they got all of their people ready to make the trek back to their camp. She catches sight of a brunette with a sword and quickly heads over to her. She grins as she sees the tall man beside her. "Lincoln!"

He smiles and hugs her tightly. "Glad you're okay, Elle."

She smiles. "Thanks for taking care of Octavia." She says, linking arms with the brunette.

Octavia laughs, leaning into her best friend.

Bellamy catches up with them and smiles, intertwining his hand with Elle's as they walk. She finally felt safe, with her family by her side.

~~~~~

They finally arrive back to camp. They had it looking great. There was a sign that said 'Camp Jaha' and Elle briefly wondered what happened to the man. That made her wonder about Finn and Murphy.

Clarke stops at the gate and Bellamy and Elle stop with her as everyone else begins to reunite.

Bellamy looks down at the girls. "I think we deserve a drink."

Clarke nods. "Have one for me."

"Hey," He says, looking at her, "We'll get through this.

Clarke shakes her head. "I'm not going in."

"Look. If you need forgiveness, I'll give that to you. You're forgiven. Please come inside."

"Take care of them for me."

"Clarke—" Elle starts.

Clarke shakes her head. "No. Seeing your faces every day is just gonna remind me of what I did to get you here."

Bellamy stops her. "What we did. You don't have to do this alone."

Clarke looks back at the camp.

"I bear it so they don't have to." She says, softly.

"Oh, Clarke..." Elle whispers. This was something Clarke had to do on her own. She had to live with the guilt of murdering all of those people.

"Where are you gonna go?" Bellamy asks.

"I don't know." She shrugs.

"What about Abby? You're not going to say goodbye?" Elle asks.

"She'll never let me go and it'll be too hard. I have to do this." She hugs both of them. "May we meet again."

"May we meet again." They both say.

They watch her disappear into the trees. Elle looks up at Bellamy with a sigh. He gives her a sad smile, wrapping his arm around her shoulder and leading her into the camp.