Chapter 16

Beth sighed and sat down on her bed. She had felt energized during work, but the long hours of training were starting to catch up to her.

   She wanted to continue reading, but she was starting to have trouble keeping her eyes open. So, instead of reading, she heaved herself up and walked to the bathroom.

   Getting more tired by the second, Beth decided against taking a shower. She brushed her teeth and stripped off her clothes. She sighed as she slipped under the covers.

   She was asleep before she even had a chance to clap the lights off.
_____

   Captain West looked at the screen. He was in the science department and the lead scientist was pointing to a screen. According to the chart at the bottom of the screen, there had been a significant decrease of mass in sector 4. Earth.

   As the lead scientist droned on about the tragic demolition of earth, he thought back to when he had wrapped up the meeting with the heads of the departments, he had gone to his cabin, but he hadn't gotten much work done, instead he thought for about a half an hour before messaging all of the heads of the departments. He had decided to start opening the stasis chambers right then. He had been too restless to wait.

   The message bell on the screen pulled him out of the memory. It was a message from the leader of the stasis specialists. There was already over 500 people awake.

   He sighed, glad that he didn't have to deal with five-hundred hysterical people.

   He finished his meeting with the lead scientist and headed to his room. He had tons of work that he needed to catch up on. When he reached his room, he chuckled to himself.

   "Oh well, I suppose it could be worse." He said to himself, not really seeing how it could get any worse.
_____

   Beth's eyes snapped open. At first, she thought that she had overslept, but when she looked at the clock, it was only 5:40.

   Beth slid out of bed and started getting ready. By the time her alarm actually rang, she was ready to walk out the door.

   She walked through the halls. The off-white walls seemed a little less bland than usual.

   She arrived at her workstation. She was the first one there, other than Miss Woods.

   Beth waved to Miss Woods.

   From where she was sitting, Miss Woods waved back with a friendly smile.

   Beth sat down and logged on to her work desk. She had a new to-do list. Miss Woods must have been working through the night.

   Beth almost regretted getting to work so early. If she had waited for a few minutes, she would have been able to see Liam.

   She looked over the new list. It was a little harder than usual. Miss Woods must have noticed an improvement in her work. Otherwise, she wouldn't have given Beth harder assignments.

   She decided to start with the hardest things first, to get them out of the way.
_____

   Officer Carter walked through the halls. Although he had only been walking for a few minutes, he was already tired. He hadn't slept at all since the announcement that the earth had been destroyed.

   However, Earth being destroyed wasn't his only problem. The two-week deadline that the captain had given to the two men was up.

   He arrived at the holding cell and palmed his way through the door. It took a little longer than the other doors because of the extra security.