Chapter 71

Beth and Liam walked hand in hand. The day was warm and bright, and the air, fresh with the smell of blossoms. The colony had been beautifully landscaped. Flowers bloomed on every corner.

   Beth took a deep breath through her nose and hummed with delight. Liam squeezed her hand.

   "It's amazing how much has changed," Beth said.

   Liam continued his tour, "This is the community dome." He gestured to a large dome-shaped building.

   "Wow." Beth gaped at the beautifully intricate design. Perfectly geometrical plates of white metal formed the structure. She almost seemed to recognize the material. "How did you build this? It looks so complex."

   "With the right design anything can be built. It may seem complex, but it was rather simple." He stopped, looking up at the dome he had helped construct. The memories seemed almost lost. He'd been so consumed with worry during the time that everything was a blur, yet the time itself remained painfully clear in its length.

   "Did you design this?" She asked with wide eyes.

   "I helped design it. We have an amazing team of architects." Liam replied.

   "Amazing," Beth said.

   He continued. "As you know, the ship we traveled in to get here was designed to be disassembled."

   Beth's mouth rounded into an O. "I'd forgotten that detail." She admitted. "There had been so much training that I guess it slipped my mind. Now it makes sense that the ship was gone. I saw the park yesterday."

   Liam grinned knowingly. He'd forgotten numerous things as well. "Anyway, we built this dome using parts from the ship. And if you look, you'll notice many other buildings, structures, and technologies throughout the colony with parts used from the Songbird."

   "You're amazing." Beth smiled at him.

   Liam laughed. "I didn't do it all myself. I only played my part. There are others who worked much harder than I did."

   "That doesn't change what I said." She gave his hand a squeeze.

   Something whooshed by their faces causing them to take a step back. Liam shielded Beth protectively.

   "What was that?" Liam's voice rose.

   "Look." Beth pointed to the top of the dome.

   Liam followed her gaze. It was a somewhat large creature that resembled a bird. "It kind of looks like an eagle."

   It was much larger than the eagles of earth, though, and its feathers were as bright red as a cardinal's. It stretched its wings, the undersides were tinted with a bright teal color like the grass.

   "Wow," Beth marveled. "I've studied many of the plants and animals of Nyx, but I haven't seen one of these! How could we have missed this spectacular creature?"

   "I don't know. Migration maybe? Our scanners and probes could have missed anything. They sure hadn't detected Kelbar or The Slayer."

   Beth's excitement rose. She itched to get back to work in the exploration department. The thought of all the species, plants, and unmarked terrain exhilarated her.

   The bird made a noise. It sounded like a cross between a falcon and a songbird. It was quite literally an unearthly sound.

   The creature called out once more and spread its wings. Then it leaped into the air with a thrust. With magnificent speed and agility, it soared up into the sky like a huge red kite.

   They watched it fly away until it could no longer be seen.

   "I wonder if there's more of them." Liam mused.

   "We could ask Kelbar sometime, he would know." Beth suggested.

   "Yeah." Liam agreed. "I bet he does."

   __________

   The tour concluded at the park. They sat beside the fountain. Reminiscing earth.

   "Do you think life will ever be the same as it was?" Beth asked, her hand playing in the water.

   "No, I don't think it will." Liam replied. "And that's a good thing."

   Beth looked thoughtful. There were things she missed about their old home, but there were also a lot of things she wouldn't miss at all. "I just wish more people could've been saved."

   Liam brought his hand to his mother's locket he still wore. Fond memories of his family played in his mind. He wished they were there to see how great the colony was doing, and to see his fiancée. He looked at his future bride, his mouth drawn in a sad smile. He wished his family were here to attend their wedding. His mother would have simply adored Beth.

   The mood was becoming somber, so Liam cupped his hands into the fountain's water. He grinned mischievously, splashing the water all over Beth.

   "Liam!" Beth shrieked, now soaked.

   "Sorry," Liam laughed. "I had too." He dipped his hands in for more.

   "Don't you dare." Beth warned while laughing.

   But he did dare. Right in the face this time.

  She wiped the water from her eyes. Beth was glad to see him being his old playful self, but now she needed revenge.

    Without warning, Beth started rapidly splashing water at him.

   "Hey!" Liam protested, holding his hands out in front of him.

   It was an all-out splash fight. By the end of it, they were both drenched.

   "Now we're even." Beth said.

   Liam grinned, "Yeah, I guess we are." Drips of water gathered on his nose and the ends of his hair before falling back into the fountain.

   "Kelbar's probably waiting for us." Beth suddenly remembered they were having dinner with him tonight.

   "Oh, I hadn't realized how late it was."

   They hurried back to the cabin to get cleaned up. As Beth had guessed, Kelbar was already there.

   He looked at them curiously. "How was the tour?" he asked, ignoring the water.

   "It was great," Beth laughed in reply.

   "I'm glad you enjoyed it." Kelbar smiled. "I've prepared dinner, it's ready in the dining room."

   "We'll be right there. I can't wait to try it." Beth said.

   Kelbar had prepared a feast. When Beth saw it she realized how hungry she was. Liam's stomach audibly growled as he sat down. 

   Once everyone was seated, they dug in.

   "Mmmm. This is so good!" Beth exclaimed.

   Liam savored his bite. "Kelbar, you are a magnificent cook." He said.

   Kelbar beamed. "Thank you." His expression changed. "I know it's only been a day, but I was wondering when your wedding would be."

   Beth choked on her food. The question had caught her off guard, to say the least.

   Liam answered instead. "Hopefully sooner than later, there's really no reason to wait. Why do you ask, by the way?"

   "Viscordia is at her prime right now. The weather's warm, everything's blooming. I think it's the perfect season for a wedding." Answered Kelbar.

   "That does sound perfect," Beth said. "We'll have to start planning." She smiled, glancing at Liam.

   Liam clasped her hand, "Sounds like a plan."