Chapter 29

Beth tried to cry out to warn Liam, but no sound came from her mouth. Liam hadn't noticed that Beth had stopped laughing and he also hadn't noticed the dark mass making its way towards him. He was facing away from Beth and wasn't able to see her stunned face.

   Beth tried to move, but couldn't. She was frozen in place. As the ominous dark shape came nearer to Liam memories flashed into her mind. All she could think of was that she would never have the chance to feel his lips against hers, would never have the chance to run her fingers through his wavy brown hair, and would never have the chance to say 'I love you'. Beth now knew that her feelings for Liam were definitely much stronger than friendship. She loved him and if he somehow survived this unknown danger, someday Beth hoped to find that Liam loved her back.

   It all happened in a few seconds. Beth stood there immovable, and in stunned silence, she watched as the dark shape pulled Liam under by his feet.

    Finding her voice, Beth let out a desperate yelp and ran into the water and flung herself at the mass, not caring if it led to her death.

   Whatever it was, it was extremely cold. Beth felt something grabbing at her body and then felt a very strange sensation like she was being sucked into a giant vacuum cleaner. Then everything was silent.

   Beth reached out with her hands and felt around. It was like she was inside of a dark slimy tunnel. She felt a movement in the 'tunnel walls' and she slid deeper. Her feet hit something and she heard a groan. She moved her feet off the object and slid right down next to it. Whatever it was, it was warm. Beth realized she was numb from coldness and she embraced the heat. Wrapping her arms around the warmth, she realized that it was definitely a human body.

   "Liam!" She exclaimed excitedly.

   'Groan'

   "Liam! Are you okay?"

   "B..b....Beth.......Is that...you? Liam managed to say.

   "Yes, Liam, It's Beth. I'm here. We're gonna be okay."

   "Wh.. where?... What happened?" Liam groaned.

   "Let's just say we've been swallowed by a very big fish," Beth Answered.

   "Wow..." Liam said.

   "Yeah, so let's try to get out of here before we are digested. There are only two options I could think of. One is teleportation. The other is that we climb up to this creature's mouth and fight our way out." Beth said.

   "Option one please," Liam said.

   "Yeah, I agree."

   Beth and Liam embraced each other, but before Beth could concentrate her mind on teleporting a strange mist came from the walls of the creature's interior and they were both instantly asleep.

   The creature speedily swam through the water with its victims sound asleep inside. They traveled on like this for quite a few hours until the creature stopped. Inside the creature, Beth and Liam awoke as a new kind of mist surrounded them. Before they could adjust to being awake and think of escape, they noticed some light coming from the end of the tunnel (which was the interior of the fish) Then they began scrambling towards the light, and soon found themselves on the shore with water lapping at their feet. The fish had swam right up to land and opened its mouth. Beth and Liam looked at each other in surprise as the fish looked at them as if to make sure they had safely disembarked and then promptly closed its mouth and swam away.

   Beth could tell quite a chunk of time had passed because the light seemed a little dimmer, more like a sunset glow rather than a noonday shine. Nyx had a sun, but it was invisible from the surface of the planet. It was due to the thickness of the atmosphere or something.