Chapter 21

Beth proceeded with caution into the dark hut. She walked very slowly with her hands out in front of her.

"Hello?" Beth asked into the darkness, expecting no reply. "Are you hurt?"

There was another groan from the corner.

"Do you need help?"Beth tried to project as much kindness and concern into her voice as she could.

The groaning stopped. Half a second passed, then Beth heard a shuffling sound. She squinted into the corner. There was a faint glowing, she rubbed her eyes, it was still there. Then it started to get a little brighter. Beth could make out a shape. It was a hand. Definitely not human though. The fingers were much too long, and there were seven of them. She could make out the flesh-colored scales. It was the alien's hand. At first, Beth thought it was the alien's hand that was glowing, but as the light got even brighter, she could see that it was a large rock that the hand was touching. The hand retracted back into the darkness and the room was suddenly illuminated with light.

Lying on the floor near the rock, was the alien. It looked like he had fainted from the strain of turning on the rock-lamp.

"Hopefully he isn't dead." Beth thought as she stepped closer.

Just as she was about to touch him, he moved. She jumped back in surprise. She watched as the creature struggled onto his back. She could tell by his movements that he wanted to get up but was unable to.

Beth scanned the room. There wasn't much, but she could tell someone had been living there. There was a woven, cot-like mat in the corner made out of grass. The floor was dirt, but there were a few thinner and smaller woven mats here and there. There was the rock, which was the light source. A few things that looked like weapons or tools hung on the wall. And the last thing in the room was a shelf. From a glance, it looked like it held some articles of clothing, other items she could not identify, and some crude-looking eating utensils and dishes. She did not know the material the shelf was made of, but it looked like it was carved out of stone.

After surveying the room, Beth guessed that the cot-like mat was a bed, so she decided to attempt to help the alien onto it.

Beth walked over and knelt beside him (or it). She touched his arm and was surprised to find that it was warm. She thought it would feel cold and reptilian, but she found the scaly skin to be warm and soft. She continued feeling his arm, moving her fingers over the skin. It felt as soft as rose petals but was hard like metal armor.

The alien was softly breathing, so Beth knew it was still alive. The smell of blood was thick in the air. Beth looked at the alien. Most of the injuries she had remembered seeing were gone.

"Maybe he took some medicine, or has the ability to quickly heal." Beth wondered to herself.

She decided to help the alien to his bed and let him sleep. She surveyed the remnants of his injuries before trying to move him. There were several deep scratches, many of his scales were torn off, and he had a good-sized chunk out of his shoulder. His clothes were also torn, and Beth knew there were probably more wounds under them.

He was still losing a lot of blood. Beth looked around the room for any sort of bandage. Other than a few clothing items on the shelf, there were none. Beth went over to the shelf and took the clothing. Then her eye caught something in the back of one of the shelves. It was some vine-like rope.

With her skimpy supplies, she managed to put clothing over the worst of his wounds that she could see, and tied the cloth on with rope. She then attempted to move him, only succeeding in dragging him a couple inches. Not wanting to upset his injuries too much, she decided to leave him where he was.

Beth sat on one of the smaller mats and listened to the alien's faint wheezing breaths. She soon grew sleepy and found herself lying down. She tried to resist the urge to close her eyelids but failed miserably.

Shortly thereafter, the only sounds that could be heard were the faint breaths of the alien and the soft snoring of a human.

__________

Liam woke up a couple minutes before his alarm. He looked at the clock and lay there till it rang. He slapped it off and hefted himself up. Liam usually woke up before his alarm rang, even if he was super tired. After waking up at the same time for so long, his body probably trained itself to sense the time and wake up, even if it was just a second before the alarm went off.

Liam quickly got dressed and left his room. He went to the spot where he usually met Beth, so he could walk to work with her.

He waited there until he was in danger of being late.

"She probably went to work early. Beth's often an early starter." Liam thought as he hurriedly made his way down the hall leading to the PPW.

When he got there, he would've gone and said good morning to Beth but he was late, so he decided against it.

"Anyways, I'll see her at breakfast." He thought as he found his desk.