1

SCARLETT'S POV

I opened my eyes to the sun rising through my window by my bed. rubbing my eyes, I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and checked the time.

7:30. great.

I had to be at school in an hour. well, my new school I should say. I'm originally from Florida. I now live in New Jersey with my mother. My father is back in Florida. My mom and I moved to New Jersey in August for reasons I won't get into right now.

it's now early september. it took awhile to get me enrolled in school here with being busy moving in and all.

I was dreading it. it's not that I didn't care for my education, I just don't care for the people I have to deal with everyday. back in Florida, everyone was stuck up and rude. I became ice cold to everyone surrounding me, in fear of getting hurt. my heart has been hurt one too many times. so I eventually started pushing everyone out.

I groaned as I rolled out of my bed. rubbing my eyes once more I walked to my closet. digging through all my clothes, I sighed. what are you even supposed to wear on your first day to a new school? cause I sure as hell don't know.

I eventually decided on a classic pair of jeans, a black crop t-shirt, and a flannel I tied around my waist incase it got chilly.

I walked into my bathroom that connected to my room and began doing my everyday makeup. powder, concealer, smoky eyeshadow, light eyeliner, mascara, and bronzer. I brushed my teeth before applying a thin layer of lipgloss as well.

my hair is naturally long and wavy. sometimes more curly, depending on the day. today it was just a frizzy mess so I decided on straightening it.

after finishing my hair I looked in the mirror at myself. my smoky eyeshadow and dark brown hair making my hazel eyes pop out. I sighed before taking one last look to be sure I looked okay. I wasn't insecure, but I definitely wasn't confident either. I just accepted the way I look. It's whatever I guess.

I grabbed a ponytail holder and slid it on my wrist before walking out my room, and down the stairs leading into my living room. I mean hey, you never know when you'll need one.

"hey mom." I slightly smiled as I saw her in the kitchen.

"oh! good morning honey. are you ready for your first day back to school?" she asked me.

"as ready as I can be." I fake smiled before hearing the toaster pop.

"I made you a blueberry bagel and some coffee to have on your way to school." she walked over to me handing me the items.

"thanks mom. I gotta go, love you!" I said taking the things and grabbing my backpack along with my keys.

I slipped on my favorite black heeled boots. I'm only 5'2, so these shoes definitely did me justice.

I threw my bag into the passenger seat as I climbed in the driver side. placing my coffee in the cup holder, I started the car and backed out of my driveway, making my way to hell. here goes nothing.

ETHAN'S POV

I stood around with my group of friends. the guys consisted of Jason, Max, Aaron, and my twin brother Grayson. there's only 2 girls in our group, Ashlyn and Violet. Max and Violet are dating. as for Ashlyn, I don't know why the hell she's in our group. she's cool and all but I have no idea how she even became our friend.

I looked down playing on my phone. Grayson, Max, and Aaron leaned up against the red 400 hall lockers across from me while talking to the girls about nonsense. probably basketball or some shit. I wasn't paying attention to be honest. I was staring at my phone when I heard the door leading outside open. I looked up to see who it was, and saw an unfamiliar face.

I didn't notice I was staring until she looked back at me

she narrowed her bright colored eyes at me in a confused manor as she continued walking, her dark hair flowing behind her. once she was gone, I noticed a couple of the guys looking at her as well.

"who's the new girl?" I finally spoke.

"no idea." Jason responded as he continued to watch her strut away.

the only way I knew she was new, was the fact that this wasn't a huge high school. it was average, if not below average. all the girls here were total preps. typical skinny jeans and tight tops, along with over bubbly attitudes.

this girl looked different. she's darker. she's edgy. she looks like the kind of girl that doesn't take any shit. I guess I zoned out because I saw Grayson waving his hand in front of my face.

"earth to ethan?" he looked at me weird.

"sorry I wasn't paying attention. what's up?" I stated grabbing onto my backpack straps.

"party this weekend. you in?" he said with a small smirk.

"since when do I ever miss a party?" I slightly smirked back.

"sweet. it's at my house. I'm supplying the liquor, just pitch in on beer and cups. it's an open house so it'll be a big one." Max stated crossing his arms.

"alright, me and grayson got you." I said patting my brother on the back.

the warning bell signaling that there was 1 minute until first period rang through the halls.

thankfully, my locker was right next to me. Jason, Max, Ashlyn, and Violet walked away to get to class.

"I'll see you at lunch bro." Grayson said hitting my shoulder before walking off to join our friends.

I twisted the combination into my lock and opened my locker. I shoved my backpack inside. God, I hated carrying around this heavy ass thing. I took out my Anatomy book along with a notebook and pen.

I only took the essentials to each class. what's the point in carrying around a heavy ass bag on my back? plus all my classes are fairly close together so going to my locker between every period wasn't that big of an issue.

I slammed my locker closed as I walked off to Anatomy class.

I walked in with a few second to spare before the bell rang. most of the seats were already taken, except for one by a dark haired girl.

it was the girl from earlier. I smiled, walking to my new seat.

__________

hey guys! I'm excited for this book!
hope you're enjoying so far!

- M