T w o

I was twenty four when Myron and I started dating. At the time I was working part time in a cafe on the edge of town and he was a regular customer. Back then I wasn't one for the whole dating scene. Sure, I went on dates with men my friends would set me up with, but it never went anywhere and I was okay with that; I was used to being on my own.

Myron was different. It was March 3rd when I first saw him. It had been raining heavily that day and the Cafe was unusually quiet.

The door had swung open, exposing Myron with a leather jacket over his head, shielding himself from the rain. I watched in curiosity as this mysterious customer seated himself at a table next to the imposing victorian window. He removed the jacket from his head and delicatly draped it around the back of the wooden chair. I watched, fascinated. He wore a maroon checked shirt which was buttoned half way. He was tall and looked very smart and fashionable. He had a well groomed beard which emphasised his oval shaped face. His skin was olive toned which looked incredibly healthy. 

I stared whilst he admired through the menu, his index finger scanning the pages excitedly. I nervously headed over to him, my heart thudding.

As I approached the table he looked up with a sombre expression and said with a thick accent "I'll have the poached eggs with tomatoes and mushrooms with a side of fried Italian bread." and winked at me before enclosing the menu and propping it back into its holder.

I felt my cheeks flush crimson as I headed back to retrieve his order. From that day, Myron became a regular visitor to the little Cafe, requiring the same breakfast every time. Over the weeks that followed I fell madly in love, in a way that I had never felt before. He told me about his family and how he worked with his Father on a building site. His parents were divorced and his Father had remarried- several times. Myron's Mother had moved away and they hadn't kept in contact. He said that he and his Mother had never been close, that they were of 'different worlds'. Even when Myron was young, they had been like "hammer and salt" as Myron had so dramatically put it, gesturing with his hands.

I fell in love with his presence, how he simply lived. I craved him, more than I had done with anyone; the magic of his touch, the beauty in his kiss. Myron was wonderful beyond belief. He was well liked and had many friends. He was very sympathetic and had a great sense of humour. People looked to him like he was a rockstar and I lavished at the thought that it was me that was on his arm, for he attracted women like a moth to a flame. He was charming and was incredibly well mannered, which I was in awe of. He was the life and soul of every party, cracking jokes and telling endless stories. His knowledge on the world was impressive.

However, as the saying goes, I was blinded by love. I was too naive to realise that his every touch wasn't out of love, but hate. He wished for me to suffer. Unfortunately, by the time I had realised that, it was too late.

Myron and I had a grand first few months together. It was perfect. When we wasn't working we would spend every second together and of course, he still made his daily morning visits to the cafe before work. We would spend hours just talking, about everything and anything. I felt incredibly comfortable around him and didn't feel judged when I spoke of my wrong doings. We went on regular dates to the local pub, The Brass Coin, for dinner. It quickly became a favourite of mine with its luscious surrounding country garden, exhibiting exquisite flowers; pinks, blue and white lilies .The building stood high and composed, welcoming its guests. Inside was dimly lit and had a very cosy atmosphere. There was an old stone fire place located at the front which when lit with a roaring fire looked captivating to those first arriving. Myron and I became good friends with some of the regulars, often joining them for dinner and sharing stories. It felt as though we had been together for years and I felt incredibly complacent with how well we were suited and in such a short amount of time.