T h r e e

"From the moment I met you, my life has changed for the better. Life with you is exciting and refreshing. You are the reason for my happiness even in the darkest of times. Although we have only been together for a short period of time, my love grows for you each day and each day I find more and more reasons why it's you that I envision my life with."

My heart began to thud through my chest. The world around us turned to a blur. I had a lump in my throat which felt like I had dry swallowed a pill. I knew what was coming and I couldn't help a tear escape from my eye and trickle down my cheek. Myron laughed softly and wiped it away with his thumb before taking my face in his hands and whispered "Marry me, Arleen. Make me the happiest man alive. Marry me."

"Oh Myron. Yes! Of course!" I cried, leaning across the table to kiss him. Other diners seated around us must have realised what was happening for they broke out in cheer.

Myron grinned sheepishly and then fumbled in his jacket and removed a small black box and opened it, unveiling the most beautiful silver ring, a stunning rock glistening in the candle light. I was in awe.

"Hope it fits!" Myron , slipping the ring onto my wedding finger. It was a little loose, but that didn't matter. The moment was so unexpected yet perfectly timed.

"Oh love, it's just beautiful." I declared, holding my hand out in front of me, inspecting the magnificent rock which glistened intensely around my finger.

The evening had continued with champagne and the promise of spending our lives together made us ecstatic. There was a real buzz in the atmosphere and I felt like life couldn't get any better.

We were married fifteen months later. The wedding had been small, with only a few of our closest relatives and friends present, but that was what both Myron and I wanted.

Shortly after we moved to a small village in Gloucestershire, which was surrounded by hills and nature, which I adored, having grown up in a hectic city where life was busy and eventful. Myron and I would often take walks around our local nature park, taking in the glorious scenery; the enormous trees which loomed in a semi circle, the birds that swooped happily together through the air. We would sit under the big oak tree which soured high above the rest of the tree's, almost sheltering them. Myron and I talked for hours; we were both philosophical and loved pondering the wonders of the universe. Many secrets were shared beneath that Oak tree. We ventured upon new places and explored hidden wonders, sometimes getting lost, but that was all part of the excitement.

One day in November when we had been married for just three years, Myron suddenly turned. Although I didn't know it at the time, life as I came to know it, would never be the same again.

I had woken up early that morning and had catered up a full English breakfast for us both. I didn't do it often as we were usually incredibly rushed in the morning and liked to grab something on our way to work. As it was a Saturday, we could enjoy breakfast together and not have to dash to miss the morning traffic. It was cold outside, the November air bitter. A thick sheet of grey fog coated the garden making it look sinister.

I had just finished plating up breakfast when Myron appeared in the doorway, his hair ruffled comically.

Our dog, Harper, a black and tan miniature Dachshund, wagged furiously at the sudden arrive of her Father and she waddled to him excitedly, clutching her favourite toy between her teeth.

Myron didn't acknowledge her and instead forced himself to the fridge where he took a drink from an orange juice cartoon, which I thought was very unhygienic.

"Are you feeling okay, love?" I asked, propping myself onto one of the kitchen stools.

Myron closed the fridge and gazed at me, expressionless. Harper danced about with her toy, squeaking it for all it was worth.

"Love?"

Myron looked to Harper and then back to me before muttering "I need to get ready."

"Here, I've made your breakfast. Come and take a seat" I offered, motioning him to the seat next to me where his breakfast sat, waiting to be demolished.

"I'm not hungry." He remarked, irritation growing in his voice.

Of course Myron and I had had disagreements before, we were used to each other's low moods in the morning, but this was different. Something about his tone, his body language. I decided he was just tired after a long week at work and picked up the abandoned plate and put it into the grill to keep its heat as Myron half halfheartedly threw Harper's toy across the floor before heading back upstairs.

I spent the rest of the morning doing housework, which I must admit, I rather enjoyed doing. I listened to the radio as I worked and often found myself jiggling my hips to and fro, making it a leisure activity rather then a chore.

Harper galloped about my feet, joining in on all the fun. I enthusiastically waved my cleaning products about, singing along to the lyrics that burst through the radio. Myron suddenly appeared making me start. He was dressed in a pair of grey trousers and a casual t shirt. He looked a lot fresher and was in better spirit then he had been a few hours before.

"Hey, don't stop on my account!" He laughed, rushing to me and swinging me around in his arms. The smell of his aftershave burned my eyes, but it was a smell I was all too familiar with. I giggled and kissed him, his moustache tickling my lip. We danced together, our laughter overpowering the radio. I lifted Harper up and rocked her as she struggled eagerly. Our family. Where had it all gone wrong? Were there signs that I unintentionally missed and if I had spotted them would I have been able to stop the destruction that lay ahead?