Chapter 5

Upon waking up, Hannah still felt the protectiveness she felt the night before. Being careful not to wake her friend after realizing that she was still gently yet firmly wrapped in his arms, Hannah glanced around the room, only to notice that it was still dark outside. She then glanced back over and just watched Clay as he slept, the content expression on his face making Hannah smile involuntarily.

"I can feel you staring at me." Clay spoke up suddenly after a few seconds, slightly startling Hannah. "I wasn't staring." Hannah spoke. Clay opened his eyes and gave her a knowing look accompanied by a smirk. "I was....yeah, ok. I was staring." Hannah said, giving up after failing to come up with an excuse. Clay chuckled in response. "Oh, shut up, Jensen. It's impossible to not stare at you." She said, smiling now too. "Really? How is not staring at me impossible?" He asked, sounding curious to know the answer. Hannah smirked as she saw the opportunity that had just been provided to her. "It's impossible because you're always so adorable." She said, smirking now as Clay playfully rolled his eyes. "There's that word again." He said. "It's true, though. You're never not adorable." Hannah added, making Clay noticably blush a little as he hid his face with a pillow, making Hannah laugh at his adorable actions.

"What time is it?" Clay asked after he removed the pillow from hiding his face, his voice still laced with sleep. Hannah glanced over to the small nightstand by the bed and checked her phone. "4:45." She replied after seeing the time on her phone's lockscreen. In response, Clay groaned and turned on his side, facing away from Hannah. "Good night." He said, his voice slightly muffled. Hannah quietly chuckled at Clay's actions as she lied back down on the bed, staring up at the ceiling in thought.

"Clay?" Hannah asked quietly after a few minutes. After she wasn't getting a verbal response from her friend, Hannah briefly glanced at him. "Helmet? You awake?" She asked, her voice a little louder now, but not too loud to wake Clay's parents. This time, Hannah got a muffled "mhm" as a response from the boy lying next to her. "I think I want to talk about it now." She told him, her voice still somewhat quiet, but still able to be heard. Hearing this, Clay stayed lying on his side, but he turned his head toward her. "Are you sure?" He asked, his voice taking on a concerned tone, much like the one from a mere few hours ago. "Yeah, I think so." Hannah replied. "Ok." Clay said as he turned over and sat up a little, resting his back against the wall. Hannah then sat up and moved a little closer to him, leaning against the wall too.

As silence fell over the two teens, Hannah thought about how she could talk about what had happened to her, and more importantly where to even start. "How about we start with what happened?" Clay suggested, seeing the conflict going on in her mind. Hannah glanced down at Clay's hand that was gently resting over her own now in an attempt to put her at ease. "Ok." She said in a soft voice before turning her hand to grasp onto Clay's hand tightly and finally letting it all come out.

Once the horrid tale was finally over, Hannah found herself being comforted by Clay as he held her against his chest with his arms tightly wrapped around her and occasionally reassured her, saying that it would be ok. Hannah was gratefull for having a friend like Clay in a moment like this, because he let her cry, and he comforted her as best he could. Unlike most guys, Clay didn't even bother to act all tough and unemotional. Even though he wasn't crying like Hannah, his eyes still did appear watery, as if he was feeling the pain she was going through too.

"I'm not the only one he did that to either." Hannah said after a few minutes, breaking the silence that had fallen over them. "Who else did he do it to?" Clay asked, keeping Hannah against his chest as he glanced down at her. "Jessica Davis. After I kicked you out of the room that night at her party." Hannah said. Not knowing what to say, Clay simply tightened his hold on her. "It will be ok. We'll figure something out. I promise." He told her. "You're the only person who knows. I don't think Jessica even knows what Bryce did to her." Hannah said. "Does Justin know about it?" Clay asked curiously. "He does. But I don't think he wants Jess to find out about what happened." Hannah told him. Clay slightly nodded his head as a response. "We'll figure it out. But for now, seeing as it's still dark outside, I say we try and fall asleep again for a few more hours." Clay said, glancing towards his window before letting go of Hannah and lying back down again. Hannah nodded in agreement as she watched him get situated before she lied down next to him, placing her head on his chest as her arm draped over his stomach. Clay then placed his arm over Hannah's shoulder as he gently pulled her closer to him and the two let sleep overpower them once again.

A few hours later, Clay was awoken by someone gently shaking his shoulder. When he opened his eyes, he was greeted by his mother. "Breakfast in 10." She whispered quietly, not wanting to wake up the girl who was still peacefully asleep in her son's arms. Clay nodded with a small smile as a response and watched as his mother gave him a warm smile in return before leaving the room. Once his mother was out of the room, Clay carefully turned and looked down at Hannah as her head was resting against his chest.

Once Clay woke Hannah up, and once he got showered and dressed, the two teens slowly made their way downstairs to be greeted by Clay's mother. When Clay asked about where his father was, Mrs. Jensen simply said that he left earlier because he had a few things to do. After that reply, everyone grabbed a plate and got themselves some of the food that Mrs. Jensen had made for breakfast. As the three ate breakfast togeter, they shared some small talk, but mainly enjoyed the comfortable silence that fell over them as they enjoyed the wonderful food that Mrs. Jensen had made.

A little while later, when Hannah decided it best to probably head home, Clay offered to walk her home, and, according to him, he wouldn't take "no" for an answer. So now, Clay and Hannah walked side-by-side with their arms linked together as they made their way to Hannah's house. "Thanks for walking me home, Helmet." Hannah said, breaking the brief silence that overcame them. Clay smiled brightly. "It's really no problem at all." He replied.

"I just realized something." Clay said, suddenly thinking of something as the two walked together. "What did you just realize?" Hannah asked curiously. "We work at a movie theater together, and I don't know what your favorite movie is. I mean, I know we both like "Strictly Ballroom," but is that your favorite movie?" Clay asked, making a smile take over Hannah's face. "That is a good movie, but it's not actually my favorite." She told him. "Ok. What's your favorite movie, then?" Clay asked, genuinly curious about the answer to that question. Hannah thought for a few seconds. "I think my favorite movie, or, rather my favorite movie series would have to be The Hunger Games." Hannah told him, giving off a small smile. "That is a good series." Clay said in agreement. "What about you?" Hannah asked, now wanting to know Clay's favorite movie. "Mine would probably have to be either "Lord of the Rings," or any Jurrasic Park movie." Clay responded truthfully. "I've never seen "Lord of the Rings," but I do have to agree that those Jurrasic Park movies are pretty good." Hannah said. "You've seen the Jurrasic Park movies?" Clay asked, sounding a little surprised. Hannah chuckled at this. "Some of them, yes. My dad's the one that watches them the most in my family, though. He's a fan of those movies." Hannah said. Clay smiled a little as he glanced down at the ground. When Clay looked back up again, he realized that they were already at Hannah's house. When Hannah noticed this as well, both she and Clay stopped walking and unlinked their arms. "Well, thanks, again, for walking me home, Clay." Hannah said gratefully. "Also, thanks for letting me stay the night." She added. Clay smiled at her. "Anytime. And, like my mom said, you're welcome to stay over any time you need or want to." Clay said, making Hannah smile and blush a little.

Clay gently took Hannah's hand in his and slowly led her up to the front door of her house. Once they were standing on the small porch, Clay released Hannah's hand, his slight awkwardness settling in as he stood there, not really sure of what to do next. Taking notice of this, Hannah smiled before leaning towards him. She gently placed a hand on his shoulder before lightly kissing his cheek and pulling back again after a second. Hannah then flashed him a small, warm smile before opening the front door and going inside, turning back and saying goodbye to him one last time before closing and locking the door.

Not really sure what just happened, Clay slowly walked away from Hannah's house, his hand gently resting over his cheek as he smiled and remembered his friend's gesture. When she kissed his cheek mere moments ago, he couldn't help but feel butterflies errupt in his stomach.

Now, he could only hope that Hannah Baker felt the same way about him that he did about her.