Chapter One

"They're here! They're here!" The shrill voice of my sister, Briana, comes from downstairs. I sigh, I know there is only one thing that would make Briana scream that high, and that's the letters.

"Crystal, get your butt down here!" Briana screams up at me. I sigh, debating whether not doing so would be worth the punishment from her. I decide to go downstairs. Last time I didn't do something Briana wanted me to do, I woke up with my bed covered in dirt and worms. And that was just because I didn't want to go singing that particular day.

As I enter our living room, I kiss my mom on the cheek and hug my dad before turning to Briana, who's holding two letters in her hand. She shoves on into my hand, and I read it.

"You have to sign up, Crystal! Please, please, please?" Briana begs me over and over, and then makes a puppy dog face that she knows I can't refuse. I groan in weakness, and Briana hugs me.

"You will totally get in if we can use that dress I saw Tiffany wearing," Tiffany is a Two who is best frinds with Briana, "and if you get in, I have to get in too, since we look exactly the same," Briana  continues her rambling while I sign the letter. Briana runs back out, and I sigh, sitting down on the couch next to my mom. She wraps her arms around me, and I put my hand on her growing stomach. She's five months pregnent. Another reason I don't want to go to the Selection. I woud probably miss my baby brother or sister's birth.

Briana runs in just to grab my arm and physically drag me out of the house, running in the direction towards Tiffany's.

Even though she's a Two, and both Briana and I are Fives, she's best friends with Briana. The castes system isn't as strict as it used to be anymore. Now, the Eights aren't living in poverty, and the Twos are living in total wealth. And I'm friends with a couple Threes myself, however, they weren't like total best friends. I perfer to stay to myself, singing with Briana on the piano, and reading. I love to read.

Briana however, is the total opposite of me. She loves pink, dresses, girly stuff, while I would just want to stay in comfortable shorts and play outside in the mud, creaming the boys on my street at soccer.

Tiffany opens the door and screams at Briana. They scream together, like they didn't see each other for several years when really, it was just last week. Tiffany pulls us in, and finaly stops screaming.

"We need dresses, like, now!" Tiffany says, pulling us into her massive closet. Even though I said the Twos don't live in total wealth anymore, they still are concideratly more wealthy than us Fives. She starts pulling out dresses for herself first, asking Briana's opinion while I just look around Tiffany's room.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tiffany got into the Selection. She was walking beauty and elegance. She was tall without heels, her face beautiful without makeup, and had an amazing figure, and she showed it off well. People always mistake Briana for a Three herself, as she was that beautiful. Me, I was hiding behind the mud from outside, dripping wet, and hanging out with the boys on the street, again, beating all of them at soccer.

Finally, Tiffany gets a teal blue dress that makes her eyes look bit, and the top was so tight, it made her cleavage push up. Briana screams as Tiffany tries it on, and I roll my eyes. Finally, Tiffany pulls out a strapless pink dress. The top was fitted, revealing the curves of her hips and chest, and the bottom flowed out, ending just above her knees.

"I have the same style dress, but in light blue, it would make your eyes pop, Crystal," Tiffany says, pulling out the same style dress as Briana's, but this time light blue. I sigh, knowing I won't get out of here alive without trying on that dress. I take it off the hanger and strip, pulling the tight material over me. I look at myself in the mirror, my jet black hair up in my usual ponytail, and the dress makes my electric blue eyes even more noticeable. My pale skin goes well with the contrast, and I smile a little shyly. I notice Briana and Tiffany look at eachother, and too late, I cover my ears. They launch into their screams of 'yes' and 'amazing!'

"You guys are sleeping over, and we will get our pictures tomorrow. Then, we'll watch the Capital Report together," Tiffany delcares. I sigh, knowing I probably won't be able to argue anymore.

The night comes quickly, and I sit on the couch with Briana and Tiffany, watching a show, but not really. They both are going into how hot both Prince Maxon and Prince Evan are.

"What do you think of the princes, Crystal?" Tiffany asks. I sigh.

"They're probably just pretty faces. Grown up spoiled and knowing their better than everybody else. If I do get into the Selection, I'll probably stick around for a while, saving up the money for mom, dad, and the baby, and then get booted out eventually. You two would have a much better chance than me," I say honestly. Tiffany's eyes widen. Then, she goes into a rant about how even if they are just pretty faces, they are the princes and they were so hot. I roll my eyes.

"Will you sing for us, Crystal. You have such a pretty voice," Tiffany pleads after a while of silence. I sigh, but I stand up and start singing.

Once I'm done, Briana and Tiffany both clap, and I smile shyly. Then, Tiffany glances at the clock.

"We should probably get to bed," she say. I nod, and crash on the floor next to Briana while Tiffany keeps the couch.

Okay, what do you guys think so far? Good, bad? I want to know. So please, comment and if you like it, vote! So, what do you think of Tiffany? Of Crystal? Of Briana? Keep me updated please!

-Jessie