Chapter Three

I toss and turn for hours, but I can't fall asleep. I decide to walk out to the balcony. All my maids are gone, but I know they are standing outside. I open the doors to my balcony, and breath in the frigid air. I smile, and notice the railing was flat and wide. I see a chair, and put my foot on the seat. I ;ush up and sit on the railing, my feet swinging off the edge. I smile. I would be like this at night, however, it was on the roof of my house. I keep my hands gripping the railing, and look out over the castle ground. I look down to see the courtyard. I think I see a figure far down there, but I can't tell in this light. I look up at the stars, and the moon. I smile as a breeze makes my ponytail blow in the wind.

I hear the door open, but I assume it's just my maids. However, the voice I hear definently doesn't belong to my maids.

"What are you doing?" I turn around to see Prince Evan is standing in my room. I remember what the man said, that I had to give him anything he asked. Well, I don't care if I get whipped for asaulting a prince, if he asks me for that then I'm going to kick him so hard where the sun doesn't shine that he's not going to be able to have children until he's grandfather aged.

"I'm relaxing. I don't see why that's a problem, Your Highness," I say, turning back to face the courtyard. I notice that the figure I might have seen is gone. Prince Evan walks over and leans against the railing.

"I would feel considerable better if you weren't sitting on that railing. You might slip and fall, and I don't want one of the selected being killed from a stupid mistake," Prince Evan says.

"Please, I've done this a million times. It's called relaxing, Prince Evan. You should try it," I joke. I see Prince Evan crack a smile.

"Sadly, I don't get to relax much, and certainly not like that. So again, I plead with you, Lady Crystal, please get off the railing," Prince Evan says.

"One, please don't call me 'Lady,' Crystal is just fine. And second," I narrow my eyes at Prince Evan, "make me, Prince Evan," I empsize prince. After about a minute of glaring, Prince Evan starts laughing.

"You know, this is starting to remind me of a story my mother once told me, when she met my dad," he says, "oh, and if I'm not allowed to call you Lady Crystal, then I hope that goes both ways."

"You don't want me to call you Lady Evan? Sad, that name suits you," I grin. Evan looks at me, mock hurt flashing through his blue eyes. However, it's ruined by the smile that spreads on his face.

"Why, you injure my pride, La-Crystal," Evan corrects himself. I smile, and look up at the sky again.

"So, why aren't you sleeping?" Evan asks me.

"Couldn't. So, I decided to get some air. Since I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed in the courtyard, this was the next best thing," I say. I close my eyes and a breeze cools my suddenly warm face. When I open them again, I see Evan is staring at me.

"What?" I ask. Evan shakes his head.

"Why are you wearing that?" He gestures to my outfit. I realize he's probably used to seeing his Ladies in nightgowns when he visits them at night. I'm just one of his victims he thinks he's going to get.

"It's one of my maids. Bad enough that I have to wear dresses all day, I'm not going to bed in another one if I can help it," I say. Evan laughs.

"I can honestly say I haven't yet met a girl who would prefer to wear shorts when they could have a limitless supply of dresses," he laughs.

"You'll find I'm very different from all these other girls, my twin included. But of course, I assume you know all about that," I grin, looking over at Evan. He nods, and I notice he's still leaning against my railing. At least he accepted I'm not getting off. I can't help but notice that his arms seem very muscular. Heat rushes to my face, and I'm glad it's dark.

"It's weird, thinking there are two identical girls here. You would think everybody is the same, wanting to win over mine and Maxon's hearts, but you seem so different. I don't know what it is about you, Crystal, but I think I'm going to keep you around for a little while, your sister too," Evan says. I roll my eyes, but I don't say anything. As long as my parents are getting money to help them for the rest of our lives, and my little brother or sister, than I'm good. I look back at Evan, to find him still staring at me, or, at my jaw. He reaches out and touches my thin scar.

"It's not makeup," Evan whispers. I look at him, surprised.

"What do you mean? Of course it's not makeup," I say. Evan looks at me.

"It's strange, while everyone else tonight was trying to get us to choose them for their looks, you were completely different. I noticed you had almost no makeup, but then I saw this scar and thought that must have been makeup, but it's not. Don't girls wear tons of that stuff?" Evan asks. I laugh.

"Maybe most girls, but I'm not one of them. You'll find I'll try to stay very far from traditional," I grin. Evan laughs.

"Where did you get it?" Evan asks. I forget that he's talking about my scar, and then I remember. I grin, the memory coming back to me.

"I was thirteen. It was after I had performed for a Two's party with my sister, and I rushed home to put on my soccer gear, which was just shorts and a tee shirt with tennis shoes, and went out to the field where the boys all play. Well, by this point, they had accepted that I was much better than them," Evan laughs at this, "anyways. One of them decided they wanted to do anything they could to finally beat me, because, well, I'm a girl. Apparently, girls aren't supposed to be good at sports. After I scored a goal on his team, he walked up to me and punched me in the stomach. And then, as he was turning around to go score on me, he had something in his pocket that cut me. I patched up the mark, but it was bleeding too much. I went home and my mom saw it, and stiched it up, thus, the scar. He still lost, just so you know," I say. Evan looks at me, his stance tense.

"He hit you?" He asks. I notice his fist clench up, and I laugh.

"Yeah, but after that I hear a couple of my friends had jumped on him when I was home," I say. I don't tell him that they all came home worse than they left off, but I still beat him every game.

"It still doesn't change the fact that he hit you," Evan seeths.

"It was a couple years ago, besides, we're friends now," a little more than friends, actually. I dated him for a couple months when I was fifteen. But Evan doesn't need to know that. I look back up at the sky, and yawn. Talking to Evan had made me tired.

"We should get to sleep," Evan notices. I nod, but don't want to get up. Suddenly, I feel strong arms take me and lift me off the rail. I squeal, and Evan grins.

"What are you doing?" I ask as he carries me over to my bed.

"You did say, 'make me,' didn't you? I'm just showing you that I can make you," Evan says. He makes sure he doesn't drop my on the bed, and keeps my feet above the ground while I squirm in his arms, trying to get out.

"Let me go!" I laugh.

"You seem like you aren't in a position to make demands, Crystal," Evan grins while I continue squirming. "You aren't much more than an armful, aren't you?" Evan continues to grin.

"Seriously, Evan, let me go!" I twist, "I'll scream and the guards will come running along with my maids," I threaten.

"If you insist," Evan sighs, and tosses me onto the bed. I bounce and sit there, laughing.

"Goodnight, Crystal," Evan whispers.

"Goodnight, Evan," I say, turning to my side and closing my eyes, quickly falling asleep.

YAY! Some Evstal for you all! That's their ship name, for those who want to start shipping them. I've had this idea for a long time, so yeah. Anyways, what do you guys think of Briana? Of Evan? Of Maxon Jr.? And of course, who do you think Crystal will look the cutest with, Maxon Jr. or Evan? Comment below, and please vote!

-Jessie