Chapter 17

After hearing the noise I immediately turned, and the tree creating the fog was gone.

Apparently just getting rid of where the fog emanated from the tree wasn't enough, and the whole tree had to go. But where to? I was ruling out possibilities when I realised this place completely defies logic, and I couldn't ignore any possibility. I decided to check the other trees for any holes, but it seemed they had all disappeared too. Then I noticed the fog change, like it was diminishing. The answer was clear this time. The trees were creating the fog.

The trees had removed their holes so I wouldn't see where the fog was coming from, but it was too late. I had already figured it out. The question was why? Did the fog make me transport? But it couldn't have, there was no fog the first time.

I noticed the fog had cleared significantly, and as I scanned my surroundings I saw something quite unusual.

One of the trees, instead of being completely burnt white, was only half white. The trunk of the tree was still burnt to a crisp, but the top half was a rich dark brown colour and the leaves were dark green too. It appeared to be a tree from the third place I transported too, but it was out of place here. The surrounding mist had noticeably diminished around this tree, and it wasn't long before I discovered a completely healthy bush, standing out from the toasted foliage.

Dumbfounded, I began to back away from the strange trees, when I saw other things follow this odd pattern. A flower blooming in ash, a ripe berry bush among dead branches and leaves. The fog was all gone around these places, and it must have had something to do with that tree.

My brain clicked, and I had solved it. The fog. The fog was making me hallucinate. It isn't everyday you are so disorientated that you can't see trees properly. I knew where the fog was coming from too, the holes in the tree. So all I had to do was get rid of all of these holes. A few minutes away from the previous fog-creating tree, I dashed about to tree after tree, scratching and clawing at the holes until they retreated into the trunk.

Trees regained their original colour and the mist was lifted. I was stood in a springtime world. There were no more horror or doom, but happiness and peace. I probably would have stayed there forever, transfixed by the beauty of it, if the exit wasn't directly to my right. I turned, and began to run towards the path out of the forest, when several large trunks shot up out of the ground, blocking my path.

Before I wouldn't be able to burn anything without starting a forest fire, but now I was too desperate. I opened my mouth, and was about to release my fire when a loud cracking sound rung out behind me. I turned, to find the wall of trunks had grown, encircling me in a forest arena. There was some sort of red cushion in the middle. In fact, it looked like a very large flower. Before I could investigate, the ground around it cracked, and sent a magnitude through the arena. The earth underneath the flower began to rise up, bringing the soil with it. It slowly rose up, being hinged facing towards me. I got a good look at the deep red flower with an orange centre. There were also several pink patches on the petals. Then, an after shock occurred and eight sharp branches shot out of the ground slightly in front of the elevated earth. However, instead of sticking straight out into the air, the bent over and supported something else under the ground. The second part of the earth begun to rise, and I could see the flower part was attached to this one. They were both oval shapes, and once it had finished rising it appeared the branches were attached to it too. Suddenly, a black orb appeared on the front of the first section. Then, another appeared to the left of it. And slowly, the creatures face was filled with eight black, beady eyes staring straight at me.

Creeeaarrgh!!!

The giant arachnid roared at me, leaving me paralysed in terror. The air was suddenly filled with a rancid odour. I identified the source to be the giant Rafflesia flower on its back. In comparison of size, my body was about as big as its two largest eyes. It's body was made up of mainly soil and dirt, with a grassy top, and its legs were giant trunks.

Before I had time to adjust to the smell, the giant creature raised a leg and stabbed it into the ground. As soon as the trunk entered the soil, sharp branches shot up from the ground in line heading towards me. I ran to the left rapidly, avoiding the onslaught of tree trunks. A breathed a sigh of relief, but it was too soon. The spider sprung into the air, blocking the sun. I charged forward, trying to escape the falling spider. I saw the shadow closing in, indicating the spider getting closer. I was almost there though, so I leaped into the air and hoped to make it past the arachnid meteor.

Slam

Ouch. The lower body of the spider swatted me into the ground when it landed. I tried to push my crumpled body up with my legs, but it was no use. I was too weak, and the spider was coming to collect its meal. After all, the forest is its web, and I'm its prey. I knew once it webbed me there was no escape, so I put all of my energy into standing up, and I did so, but as I went to walk forward I fell again. There was no chance. The spider shot a web straight onto my crippled body. I felt the grass against my face as it slowly reeled me in. Any moment I expected to be devoured, but the arachnid kept it suspenseful. Not too fast but not too slow. Then I did the only thing I could. I let a pathetic stream of flames into the air. And I felt myself stop moving. I hurriedly opened my eyes, but the spider was just watching me. The web was still strong, maybe it was angry that I tried to put up a fight. I closed my eyes and awaited to be dragged again, but nothing happened. I opened my eyes again, to see the spider moving towards me with a furious look on its face. Maybe it was better to eat me now instead of getting your forest burnt down. I struggled, and tried to breathe as mug fire as possible. The flames were weak, but I noticed one. A grey sparkle falling in the air like a snowflake. It danced elegantly as it neared the ground. No, as it neared the stream of web.

Whatever the spider used in its web, it definitely needs to make it inflammable next time.

The string of silk erupted into flames, and the fire traveled along the stream like a burning subway train. The flames arrived into the spider's silk sack, and caused it to explode.

After the initial 'boom', I opened my eyes and was it was raining webs. They slowly fell like oversized snowflakes as the remaining half of the spider screeched in agony. It was over. I raised my body from the burnt ground to find my blue scales blackened and sore. The intense heat however, had completely obliterated the glue, or web, that was attached to my wings. Carefully, I limped towards where the arena had been destroyed, and to the exit of this hellish forest. I took one last glance at the squirming forest puppeteer, then began to walk from the forest.

The sun immediately freshened my face, and the blue sky greeted me. The flowers waved in the breeze, and the birds tweeted a tune of solace. I couldn't remove the smile from my face as I proudly strolled along the path away from the forest. The canyon ahead contrasted with the green fields to both my sides, and even though my journey was far from over, I was happy for at least awhile.