Chapter Twenty-Five

Thanks to Springgirl101 who made the video on the side! I love it! And thanks to LovelyOwls who made the banner :-)

------------------------------------

Knock knock.

            I jump at the sudden sound, losing my grip on the earring I’m putting in. Even from downstairs, the knocking on the front door is loud enough to startle anyone. Sighing, I look down to see the silver stud has landed in amongst my hair, managing to tangle itself in at least three separate curls. I’m in the process of retrieving it when the knocks sound again, more forceful this time.

            “Mom, can you get that?”

            There’s no movement from downstairs. Turning back towards the mirror, I can’t help but frown. Nathan’s not usually one to be impatient, and I doubt his hands are even capable of knocking so loudly. But who else would it be? The dance begins in just over half an hour, and he’s my ride.

            When the third round of knocking starts up, I decide it’s time to step in. I gaze at my reflection one last time, managing a half-smile at my appearance. With my hair tamed into submission, make-up done and dress sweeping down to my feet, I actually look okay.

            Tackling the stairs in heels is a treacherous task in itself (especially considering my distinct lack of balance), but with an endless amount of trip-worthy fabric around my feet, it’s even worse. In fact, when I finally do reach the bottom without sustaining any serious injuries, I feel like some kind of intrepid adventurer. Then I remember the task in hand, and hurry over to the front door to relieve my date of standing on the freezing porch.

            However, what I find is a slightly twisted version of what I had been expecting.

            Instead of a shy, blonde guy in a tux, I’m faced with a beaming woman in a white blouse. It’s none other than Julie, in as good a mood as ever.

            “Oh, um...” I say awkwardly, too surprised to form a coherent sentence. “Hi?”

            “Georgie!” Her face lights up upon seeing me, before her gaze quickly falls to my dress. “Oh, look at you! All dressed up for the dance... you look beautiful, honey.”

            “Uh… thanks...”

            “I can’t believe you’re the same little girl who used to play in my garden,” she gushes, clasping a hand over her heart theatrically. “It seems like yesterday and now... well, look at you. You’re gorgeous and all grown-up.”

            Suddenly, without warning, I’m being swept up in a hug. As I stand crushed in Julie’s arms, I try to process the weirdness of the situation. What is she doing here? I don’t remember my mom inviting her or anything, and I can’t come up with any other reason that could serve as an explanation. It’s the night of the Winter Formal. Shouldn’t she be gushing over her own son and his glitzy girlfriend?

            A week of school later, I’ve officially given up on clearing things up with Connor. It’s hopeless; he’s been avoiding me, going out of his way to make sure we never get an opportunity to exchange even a few words. Even working together hasn’t resulted in any conversation, and by now, I’ve accepted the fact he’s never going to face up to talking about it. The best thing for both of us is to erase the kiss completely from my mind and continue to lead our separate lives.

            Which is a lot easier said than done.

            When I emerge from my thoughts (and, at the same time, Julie’s grip), something registers in my brain that I had totally missed before. I don’t know how long he’s been there, but standing beside Connor’s mom on the porch is none other than my blue-eyed date.