Chapter Six

"Okay, all the stalls are ready," Leo told me

"Okay, all the stalls are ready," Leo told me. I brought the last armful of hay into Dublin's stall and smiled.

"Good," I said. "The driver said they'll be here in about an hour."

"I can't wait to meet them," Molly exclaimed.  "Dublin sounds amazing."

"Yeah, maybe I can have you teach him some dressage," I grinned as I fixed Hera's stallplate. She nodded her head enthusiastically, and the three of us headed over to the mare barn to make sure Mama's stall was made up. By the time we finished eating in my house, the trailer had pulled in.

"How was the drive?" I asked the driver as he stepped down.

Adjusting his cap, he replied "Good. Long, but it was fairly easy traveling."

"That's great!" I smiled. "Any problems with the horses?"

"None at all," he said. We unloaded the horses and a barn hand came and took Mama to her new home. I took Dublin, Leo took KC, and Molly took Hera. We put them out in their field and let them spend the rest of the day outside.

"They're beautiful," Molly said as they ran around the field, getting their pent up energy out.

-

It took another week and a half for Hannah to finish up business down in Florida. Everything we owned from the old farm had arrived in boxes on the porch, a little more everyday, over the course of that time. Now, as Hannah walked through the front door, the only place that had yet to be unpacked was her bedroom.

"I've missed you!" I exclaimed, squeezing her in a big hug.

"I've missed you too!" she squeezed back. "You are the best. Look at this place!"

I had decorated the living room, dining room, and kitchen area with the help of Molly and Leo. The walls were filled with photographs of Hannah and I showing, various horses we've owned, and just shots from around the barn and Florida. The mantle on the fireplace had some trophies from shows, as well as a couple of plants I had picked up.

"I tried to make it homey," I laughed, showing her around.

"So, how'd it been here?" she asked later that day, as we sat on the porch eating sandwiches for dinner.

"Really good," I said. "Our ponies are all settled in great, Mama's due any day now. Molly and Leo have been helping me out almost every day, too."

"It's great that you made friends so quickly," she smiled. "And how's school?"

"I've been working nonstop on my economics class, I have one assignment left, and it's a short test. I'll get that done tonight. After that, I only have like english, math, and human bio to complete.

"Good job! Look, I've been thinking. I found a summer series that's held in the town over, and it seems like a pretty serious show. They have the last day of their winter-slash-spring series in a few days, I was wondering if you'd like to check it out with me? You can bring your friends if you'd like."

"Sure, I'll ask them," I replied. "Are you done?"

"Yeah," Hannah said, then I grabbed her and my empty plates, loading them in the dishwasher. Then I made my way back to my room, set up at my desk, and started on my test.

Easiest thing ever.

I submitted it for a final grade then shut my laptop.

-

The next day, I decided to ride Dublin. He had finally settled, and was used to his new home.

"Come on, Dubby," I called as I led him out of the barn, all tacked up in his maroon gear. I decided to just bring him on a little hack around the property so he could check everything out. After letting him walk around for a bit, I trotted him out. His big step chomped at the ground and I posted along, enjoying the ride.

"Hey, Emily!" someone called. I slowed down to a walk and squinted to see who was talking.

"Leo!" I exclaimed. "What's up?"

"I was just out doing a photography project, but I can't seem to get the right shot," he explained. "Want to be my subject?"

"Uh, sure," I agreed.

"Great. Just go along riding, I'll stay out of your way," he smiled. I got Dub back into a trot and continued our ride. When he was ready, I urged him into a canter, letting him stretch out before collecting.

"Get anything good?" I asked, transitioning down to a walk.

"I think so," he said. I hopped off Dub and Leo followed me into the barn, keeping his eyes on his camera. "Look at this one."

He showed me various shots of me riding as I untacked Dublin. Just as I finished brushing, Leo showed me one last picture.

"Leo, that's gorgeous," I awed. It was taken from behind us, while Dublin was cantering. The shot only had the lower half of Dub's body, along with a section of the grass, and the picture captured chunks of grass in the air that were pulled up by Dub's shoes. "They're all amazing but that? That's a incredible."

"Thanks," he blushed, shutting down his camera.

"You really like photography, don't you?" I asked as I took up the lead rope.

"Yeah," he admitted. "Show jumping and photography. The two things I can't live without."

I turned Dublin out into his paddock and turned to Leo. "Do me a favor and send me some of your favorite shots. The boarding barn needs a little sprucing up and I could use some nice decorations."

"Really?" he exclaimed. "Of course! Thank you!"

"No big deal," I shrugged off.

"Hey, so tomorrow at a racetrack a few towns over, they're doing training, and I was wondering if maybe you wanted to tag along with me? I was going to bring my camera..." he started, seeming nervous. "I mean, we can go for lunch. If you want. You don't have to, but it'd be cool if you'd go with me."

He rambled in for a bit more before I cut him off.

"Leo? I'd love to go."

"Really? I mean, great," he grinned. "I can pick you up at ten, does that work?"

"Perfectly."