Back up on the ol' high horse..

Layla

  I tried to stifle my laughter as the obese cop leaned over me. His Tupi was leaning to the right, and his false teeth looked like they were about to break off the rest of his body and return to the mother ship, which I'm guessing, is where they found this guy.  I mean how many cops come with a green tinge to their skin? 

"So Miss Thomas, Your Birth Certificate says that Your British?" 

Does it? I never knew that. I knew I didn't talk like the other Americans around me, and that I favoured tea to coffee but did that truly make me British?  

In all honesty I had never  seen the birth certificate. After my parents passed, I was sent to live in a foster home filled with scary ass nuns that made Miss Hannigan look like Mary freaking Poppins. I avoided them like the plague and they seemed to be just fine with that. I wasn't't about to push my luck. 

This one time, Sister Mary Ellen made Bobby Frank eat two whole bars of soap just for saying the word Hell in a church. I cringed as she forced the chunky, yellowing bars down the boys all too unwilling throat, screaming out with every bite. 

"It might. I wouldn't know." I state coolly. 

Detective E.T. shifts in his chair and gives me the evil eye. He bites down on his lower lip flashing his rotten teeth. 

He blinks at me, giving me a glare, "I.Would . Appreciate. Some. Answers. Miss. Thomas." 

He stabs his index finger on the table with every word, like the harsh sound of bone on metal would make me spill my guts. 

He would like some answers? Well so would I.

I would like to know what happened to my parents.

I would like to know what happened to Emer.

I would like to know if the world was really gonna end in December, or if the Mayan calender got it wrong.

I would like to know if I was going to survive this, with every ounce of dignity intact, but right now I really wanted to know who pissed in this guys cornflakes this morning. 

"How many episodes of Miami blue did you have to watch before you got that right?" I sneer at him, as he continues to stare down at me. 

I guess the way his eyes twisted slightly, and his lower lip curled over his top meant that he was trying to be intimidating, he was also trying to stare me down. 

Maybe in different circumstances his efforts may have worked, probably with a kid caught for shop lifting, that was scared of his own shadow but to me, he just looked like a constipated gopher.

  He raised his eyebrows . "I asked you a question."

"I ignored it and moved on. Keep up."

Was it me or was this conversation suddenly very Veronica Mars?

"Where were you on the night Of Emer Newmen's disappearance?"

Is he kidding me? I already explained this five times a year ago, I wasn't going to slip in my alibi, he can try again. 

"I was staying at Emily's, I had an argument with my foster parents about me staying out passed ten and slept at Emily's until they cooled down." 

E.T. scrawled something down into his notes. The sound of the pen scoring ink into the paper seemed to echo all around the dank room.

The man cleared his throat and sat up straighter. "What is your relationship to Brennan Whitman?" 

He looked at me with expectant eyes and I felt my heart plummet and my stomach churn.