Chapter 4: "I'm scared of dirty secrets"

Saturday was awful. It had been raining the whole day, and strong cold wind'd been howling in my windows. But is was luck that the 1st of September was Friday. Because the next day we all could stay home. No, I'm wrong. They all stayed home, except me. I am such a great badass, that I suddenly made up a wish to go to the Oscorp.

So I went out into cold streets, wondering why the weather is so non-constant. When I was six, I used to think that it's always hot in the summers, raining in the autumns, snowing in the winters and a little chilling in the springs. It was the greatest mistake of my life.

On my way to the Oscorp I got to Starbucks again. My eyes automatically scanned the room, searching for Peter. No, there was no mr. Extraordinary. So I ordered a banana-caramel cappuccino and went to the train station. I felt just like the lucky one, because my train arrived as soon as I got to the station.

I spent fifteen minutes in the train, getting to the Manhattan center. When I got into a tall glass building, I was surprised a little, because it was like I got to the future days.

It took over thirty minutes to find another one cup of coffee and the library. The library turned out to be filled with Apple computers and a very small amount of books. I thought it was strange to call a place like that 'the library.'

I sat down at one of the white tables and turned the computer on. I entered 'famous researches' and pressed 'search.' There was nearly 1 million results, but when I saw one surname I almost jumped. It was Parker. Peter told me his father's name was Richard, so I immediately recognized him.

When browser downloaded the page I saw his photo and was surprised to admit that that were really alike. They had similar mouths, eyes and noses. Their ears and cheekbones were different, so I entered 'Mary Parker' and when I saw her photo I saw Peter's ears and cheekbones. I couldn't help but giggle a little.

"Miss, what are you searching for?" somebody touched my shoulder.

I turned around and saw a guard-man. I somehow realized that it wasn't a very good idea to search for Peter's parents researches.

"This information is strictly confidential. I'm sorry, but I have to call the library manager. Wait here for a minute!"

With those words he went away, but I didn't want to wait. I grabbed my bag and trotted to the exit doors. Unfortunately, they saw me run away and followed me immediately. I looked at both sides of a long corridor and chose the right. When I saw the sign 'WC' I started to walk a little faster and finally got there.

I heard their steps and voices dying away, and when i became sure it was clear, I went out of the toilet and headed towards the lift. I had to check each corner, because the risk of being noticed was too high. I pressed big steel lift button and said a prayer. If they had caught me it would have turned out badly for me.

Luckily,the lift arrived just when I heard their voices approaching. Well, anyway, by the time they came to the lift hall I was already three floors below them.

I quickly ran out of the building and raced underground to the subway. My train came soon too, so I thought my prayer had worked out finely.

I passed three stations and got off the train in the forth one. I walked a few block on foot, and got home fully soaked and wet. In the bathroom I took off my wet jeans and sweater and filled the bath with lukewarm water with foam.

As soon as I got into the water I called Peter. He answered almost at once.

"Hey, Cassie!" I heard he was smiling.

"Hey. Peter, listen, I was in Oscorp today, and I saw an information about your parents' researches..."

"Oh, no!" he moaned, "And you were haunted by several big guardian boys?"

"Well, I ran away..."

" Listen, they're sectarians! Ok, I'll come to your place in an hour with some Chinese food, and we'll talk about it, ok?"

"What?" I was surprised, "Well, ok, so my address is 263 W End Avenue."

"Woah, you're a Manhattan babe?" he laughed like one of those best friends who know you from the very first day of primary school.

"Yep!" I laughed too.

Peter cancelled the call, so I relaxed for a minute, but then I jumped up. Peter Parker was gonna be in my flat in an hour.