0 2 | k i s s e s

Song of the chapter: 24/7/365 by Surfaces

☙❦❧

DELILAH had finally confessed.

"So you're telling me that you kissed him?"

She nodded her head slowly.

"It was three months ago. It barely matters," she said trying to seem nonchalant.

Sat across from her at the cafeteria table was her best friend, Adelaide. Delilah had just broken the news that she kissed Jasper King at a party a while back and Adelaide was struggling to comprehend the information.

Jasper King.

He was beautiful to say the least and she was honestly a little shocked herself that he would even kiss her.

Hell she was shocked she kissed him back.

But a crush that lasted for a year? She was bound to give in to her urges. Especially if the perfect opportunity presented itself right in front of her.

Quite literally.

"Barely matters my buttocks," Adelaide chimed in rolling her eyes.

Popping a fry in her mouth, Delilah held her hands up in mock surrender.

"What do you want me to say? That it was the best thing to ever happen to me? Because quite frankly, it was the opposite," she said as her voice grew quieter.

"Really?" Adelaide questioned raising an eyebrow.

Nodding, she let out an exasperated breath.

"Yeah. After maybe 30 seconds, he pushed himself away saying sorry and how it was mistake. He was just confused over some girl and he needed a distraction."

"How do you know that?"

"Because," Delilah reasoned. "He left the room and I followed afterwards. When we made our way downstairs, he looked guilty while making eye contact with some girl across the floor. She looked pretty hurt to be honest."

Confusion clouded Adelaide's features. "Well isn't he indecisive," she hummed.

"Tell me about it. Anyways, he was just using me to get his mind off her. That's why it barely matters." 

Although the words slipped off Delilah's tongue easily, there was a war brewing inside her. A war between understanding and hurt. She didn't know who to side with though.

Glancing behind her, she looked over at Jasper sitting at his table with his friends. He was laughing without a care in the world. Completely free. He was a unattached spirit.

But relationship wise, he was tied down. He liked someone else and couldn't have whoever it was, so that made Delilah his distraction.

Which is why she would never be able to think of their kiss as anything more.

"I'm your best friend. I know the kiss bothers you," Adelaide said soothingly.

Whipping her head back around, Delilah gave her a weak smile. "It's fine. I'm fine. It barely matters," she said once again.

Maybe repeating those words would somehow make them come true. Or at least make her believe so. She knew not to let hope ruin her realistic views.

Hope was helpful, sure, but it was a disappointment when it wasn't followed by happiness.

Sighing, Adelaide shook her head.

"Stop that," she stated.

"Stop what?"

"Being pessimistic, reminding yourself to not get your hopes up. You always do that."

"It's how I survive pain," she mumbled.

"It's not healthy," Adelaide whispered gently.

"So what? That's not my priority. My priority is to not break."

"Eventually it'll shatter you," Adelaide said.

"I'll survive," she snapped back.

Leaning back, Adelaide took another bite out of her burger.

"Maybe so, but how many times will your strength be able to help you up? Hold you up? Strength needs motivation and you have none. You lost your motivation long ago. Right now, you're simply depending on the strength you conjured throughout the previous years. But when that finishes, what will you do then?"

Looking at Adelaide, Delilah knew she was right. She would have to survive though. She would find a way. There was nothing much else to say about it.

Scoffing, she buried her face in her hands.

"I'll find a way."

Nodding, Adelaide went back to eating. "Whatever you say," she sang out as she watched Delilah fume in her seat.

Although Delilah hid her fear, it was brewing inside her, ready to burst. Because she knew Adelaide was far too close to the truth than she'd like to admit. Adelaide was right about her shattering, but she didn't realize how soon she might. She thought she'd get through everything. But that wasn't the case.

Delilah would crumble eventually.

☙❦❧

Yeah I'm kind of impatient and felt the need to publish the second chapter at yours and my convenience. ;)

Lemme know what you think down in the comments below!

Love ya!

~ Shay