1 0 | c e m e t e r i e s

Song of the chapter: everything i wanted by Billie Eilish

☙❦❧

JACKSON stood at the entrance, staring into the cemetery in front of him.

He was holding his breath, wishing that he could be anywhere but there. But today was the 7th and that meant he had to visit. He's too selfless to ignore this day.

He sighed, running his hand over his face and looking up at the sky. His body was exhausted. He was exhausted. He didn't want to be here. He really didn't.

The cemetery was small. It wasn't one of those big ones that stretched for miles. No. He made sure to bury him in a small cemetery, one where he would know exactly where he was without having to search.

He stared at the grave from where he stood. He hadn't moved an inch. He was still building up the nerves to actually approach the grave. The flowers were in his hand, and he could feel the weight of the new Pokémon card in his back pocket.

His brother always loved Pokémon.

He was too caught up in his thoughts to realize that someone had approached him from behind. She walked quietly, not wanting to alarm Jackson's still form. She came up beside him and interlocked their hands.

He whipped his head to the left, surprised to see Delilah here.

Here. Standing beside him. Holding his hand.

He furrowed his eyebrows in utter confusion. "What are you doing here?"

She smiled gently, bringing her hand up to brush the hair out of his eyes. "Jasper told me you'd be here," she whispered softly, not wanting to disrupt the silence that Jackson had been absorbed by for so long.

He nodded his head, not exactly understanding but not caring enough to ask for more. "Okay," he monotonously responded.

He looked down at their interlocked hands. His engulfed hers.

"You have small hands," he faintly pointed out, letting his thumb brush over the skin on the back of her hand.

She blushed and smiled, glad that he was somewhat talking, "Yeah, I know."

He hadn't taken his eyes off their hands, too consumed by the warmth Delilah's grip had provided him. She replaced all the cold he felt with her happiness and beauty. She enchanted him to his very core.

He smiled down at their hands before finally looking up at her. She was already watching him carefully and the minute their eyes made contact, she felt the breath leave her body.

They said nothing, only looking at each other in the dreary weather.

He couldn't help but admire her features once again, along with her personality. She was here, with him, for him. He smiled at the thought and she gave him her own smile, happy to see him in a better mood.

Looking away from her, he turned back to the grave that stood a little away from them. He felt like leaving. But before he could go through with the thought, Delilah had started walking towards that area of the cemetery, not letting go of Jackson's hand.

She pulled him along until they were finally in front of the very gave he had been staring at from afar for the past 30 minutes.

She read the engraved words on the headstone, murmuring to herself, "Alexander Sloan. 2009-2017." She turned towards Jackson, her heart breaking for the boy in front of her.

"He was your brother?"

Jackson nodded without saying a word. He continued to stare down at the grave with a dazed look in his eyes.

Knowing that Jackson was lost in his own world, Delilah gently pried the flowers out of his hand before placing them on the ledge of the grave.

Stepping back, she admired the beautiful flowers decorating the headstone and took notice of the multiple playing cards surrounding it.

"What are those?" she quietly asked, her curiosity peaking through.

This seemed to snap Jackson out of his trance as he leaned down and picked one of the cards up. His hands felt the plastic material of the card and a small smile played on his lips. "He loved Pokémon," he explained softly. "I bring him a new card every time I visit."

With that said, he fished the latest card out of his back pocket and turned it around in his hand.

Staring at the shiny card stare him back in the face, he slowly placed the card under the bouquet of flowers before standing up and taking his place beside Delilah.

He glanced at her for a second but her gaze was already on him. She made his heart flutter. He wasn't sure what to do with that fact.

Before he could protest, Delilah got on her tippy toes and reached up to wrap her arms around his neck. Forcing him to lean down, she laid her head against his chest, breathing in his scent and relaxing into his hold.

"You can cry," she murmured in his ear, kissing his cheek softly.

As the words left her mouth, it was like a command given to a dog. Almost immediately, Jackson's body started shaking and he wrapped his arms around Delilah's waist, needing the comfort she provided him in the moment. Delilah could feel the tears hit the exposed skin on her shoulder, which only made her hug him tighter.

"It's okay," she consoled him, letting her fingers massage his scalp in the process.

Jackson felt sad. But he felt happy. Because Delilah was there to make all the bad go away. She took a weight off his shoulders and let him cry. And so he did.

And god it felt great.

Through his tears, he looked back at his brother's grave. He could barely see with the tears clouding his vision but he could still read the quote engraved on the stone like it was ingrained in his mind.

"Hate is our way of loving."

☙❦❧

I think...this is one of the most beautifully written chapters in this story. Sorry it sounds arrogant and self-absorbed coming from the girl who wrote it but the chapter made me proud and I kinda wanted to acknowledge that for once. Whoops.

Hope you guys think the same!

Comment your thoughts down below and maybe hit that itty bitty vote button? Orrrrr you could follow too! :) Shameless self promotions lmao.

Love ya! Xx.

~ Shay