1 1 | e n d i n g s

Song of the chapter: Time by Mikky Ekko

☙❦❧

DELILAH was sad.

Although she had been there for Jackson at the cemetery, that moment was gone. When she showed up to the place, he hadn't pushed her away from him like she expected.

Apparently he was getting a late start on that though because it had been a week now and he acted like nothing happened. It felt like he was pushing her away.

She frowned, not liking that he wasn't clinging onto her for comfort.

She wished he was.

But now? At school their friend groups sat together, but Jackson always took the seat farthest from her. Jasper gave her his company and she wished she could say she enjoyed it, but all it did was remind her that Jasper was not Jackson.

And she wanted Jackson.

Unfortunately, today was another day at lunch with him sitting anywhere but beside her. Jasper had occupied the seat beside Adelaide in hopes that Jackson would have to take the one beside Delilah. However, Jackson politely asked Jasper to 'take his place by his girlfriend'.

The sentence confused both Jasper and Delilah until it suddenly hit them that they had not made Jackson aware of the fact that they decided they'd be better off as friends.

Oh the irony in that. It laughed in Delilah's face.

Her face fell as Jasper begrudgingly sat down beside her. She scowled at him in annoyance and pinched his arm.

"Ow what the fuck!" he whisper-yelled at her in response.

"I thought you told him!" she grumbled.

He shrugged and his eyes went wide. "Well I thought you told him!"

Before she could curse Jasper out, a voice interrupted their tiny exchange.

"Told who what?" Jackson curiously piped up from across the table. Adelaide and Parker were sitting beside him, their expressions oozing of curiosity as well. All three had quieted down as they took interest in Jasper and Delilah's conversation.

Jasper awkwardly chuckled before nudging Delilah, forcing her to be the one to explain themselves.

"Jasper and I aren't together," she finally said after a moment's silence.

Jackson's eyes widened.

"What happened?" he asked concerned. However, his expression turned dark as he shifted his attention to the boy beside Delilah. "Did you hurt her Jasper?" he growled at him.

Jasper rolled his eyes. "Pipe down you Neanderthal. It was a mutual agreement. We thought we liked each other. Turns out that kiss over the summer was just a good kiss."